Capitalization of BRT network expansions effects into prices of non-expansion areas
A before and after hedonic model is used to determine the property value impacts on properties already served by the transit system caused by extensions to Bogotá's bus rapid transit system. Asking prices of residential properties belonging to an intervention area (NÂ =Â 1407 before, 1570 after) or a control area (NÂ =Â 267 before, 732 after) and offered for sale between 2001 and 2006 are used to determine capitalization of the enhanced regional access provided by the extension. Properties offered during the year the extension was inaugurated and in subsequent years have asking prices that are between 13% and 14% higher than prices for properties in the control area, after adjusting for structural, neighborhood and regional accessibility characteristics of each property. Furthermore, the appreciation is similar for properties within 500Â m and properties between 500Â m and 1Â km of the BRT.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 43 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"The Economics of Networks,"
Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics,
Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996. "The economics of networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 673-699, October.
- Nicholas Economides, 1995. "The Economics of Networks," Working Papers 94-24, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics, revised Sep 1995.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997. "The Economics of Networks," Industrial Organization 9701002, EconWPA.
- McDonald, John F. & Osuji, Clifford I., 1995. "The effect of anticipated transportation improvement on residential land values," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 261-278, June.
- Robert Armstrong & Daniel Rodríguez, 2006. "An Evaluation of the Accessibility Benefits of Commuter Rail in Eastern Massachusetts using Spatial Hedonic Price Functions," Transportation, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 21-43, January.
- Bae, Chang-Hee Christine & Jun, Myung-Jin & Park, Hyeon, 2003. "The impact of Seoul's subway Line 5 on residential property values," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 85-94, April.
- Daniel P. McMillen & John McDonald, 2004. "Reaction of House Prices to a New Rapid Transit Line: Chicago's Midway Line, 1983-1999," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 463-486, September.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Ghebreegziabiher Debrezion & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2007. "The Impact of Railway Stations on Residential and Commercial Property Value: A Meta-analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 161-180, August.
- Ghebreegziabiher Debrezion & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2004. "The Impact of Railway Stations on Residential and Commercial Property Value: a Meta Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-023/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Anselin, Luc & Getis, Arthur, 1992. "Spatial Statistical Analysis and Geographic Information Systems," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 26(1), pages 19-33, April.
- Strange, William, 1992. "Overlapping neighborhoods and housing externalities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 17-39, July.
- Francisco Martínez & Claudio Araya, 2000. "Transport and land-use benefits under location externalities," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 32(9), pages 1611-1624, September.
- Juan Carlos Mendieta & Jorge Andrés Perdomo, 2007. "Especificación y estimación de un modelo de precios hedónico espacial para evaluar el impacto de Transmilenio sobre el valor de la propiedad en Bogotá," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 004280, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Stephen Malpezzi, "undated". "Hedonic Pricing Models: A Selective and Applied Review," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-05, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Gibbons, Stephen & Machin, Stephen, 2005. "Valuing rail access using transport innovations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 148-169, January.
- Steve Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004. "Valuing Rail Access Using Transport Innovations," CEP Discussion Papers dp0611, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gibbons, Stephen & Machin, Stephen, 2004. "Valuing rail access using transport innovations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19989, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Martínez, Francisco J., 1995. "Access: The transport-land use economic link," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 457-470, December.
- Kennedy, Peter E, 1981. "Estimation with Correctly Interpreted Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations [The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 801-801, September.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Cheshire, Paul & Sheppard, Stephen, 1998. "Estimating the Demand for Housing, Land, and Neighbourhood Characteristics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(3), pages 357-382, August.
- John D. Benjamin & G. Stacy Sirmans, 1996. "Mass Transportation, Apartment Rent and Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(1), pages 1-8.
- Jin Kim & Ming Zhang, 2005. "Determining Transit’s Impact on Seoul Commercial Land Values: An Application of Spatial Econometrics," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 8(1), pages 1-26.
- Michael L. Katz & Carl Shapiro, 1994. "Systems Competition and Network Effects," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 93-115, Spring. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)