Capitalization of BRT network expansions effects into prices of non-expansion areas
A before and after hedonic model is used to determine the property value impacts on properties already served by the transit system caused by extensions to Bogotá's bus rapid transit system. Asking prices of residential properties belonging to an intervention area (NÂ =Â 1407 before, 1570 after) or a control area (NÂ =Â 267 before, 732 after) and offered for sale between 2001 and 2006 are used to determine capitalization of the enhanced regional access provided by the extension. Properties offered during the year the extension was inaugurated and in subsequent years have asking prices that are between 13% and 14% higher than prices for properties in the control area, after adjusting for structural, neighborhood and regional accessibility characteristics of each property. Furthermore, the appreciation is similar for properties within 500Â m and properties between 500Â m and 1Â km of the BRT.
Volume (Year): 43 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Armstrong & Daniel Rodríguez, 2006. "An Evaluation of the Accessibility Benefits of Commuter Rail in Eastern Massachusetts using Spatial Hedonic Price Functions," Transportation, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 21-43, 01.
- Kennedy, Peter E, 1981. "Estimation with Correctly Interpreted Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations [The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations]," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 801, September.
- Nicholas Economides, 1997.
"The Economics of Networks,"
Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics,
Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 1(0), December.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Strange, William, 1992. "Overlapping neighborhoods and housing externalities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 17-39, July.
- Steve Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004.
"Valuing Rail Access Using Transport Innovations,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0611, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ghebreegziabiher Debrezion & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2007. "The Impact of Railway Stations on Residential and Commercial Property Value: A Meta-analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 161-180, August.
- John D. Benjamin & G. Stacy Sirmans, 1996. "Mass Transportation, Apartment Rent and Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(1), pages 1-8.
- Cheshire, Paul & Sheppard, Stephen, 1998. "Estimating the Demand for Housing, Land, and Neighbourhood Characteristics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(3), pages 357-82, August.
- McDonald, John F. & Osuji, Clifford I., 1995. "The effect of anticipated transportation improvement on residential land values," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 261-278, June.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Stephen Malpezzi, . "Hedonic Pricing Models: A Selective and Applied Review," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-05, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Jin Kim & Ming Zhang, 2005. "Determining Transit’s Impact on Seoul Commercial Land Values: An Application of Spatial Econometrics," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 8(1), pages 1-26.
- Bae, Chang-Hee Christine & Jun, Myung-Jin & Park, Hyeon, 2003. "The impact of Seoul's subway Line 5 on residential property values," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 85-94, April.
- Martínez, Francisco J., 1995. "Access: The transport-land use economic link," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 457-470, December.
- Anselin, Luc & Getis, Arthur, 1992. "Spatial Statistical Analysis and Geographic Information Systems," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 19-33, April.
- Michael L. Katz & Carl Shapiro, 1994. "Systems Competition and Network Effects," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 93-115, Spring.
- Daniel P. McMillen & John McDonald, 2004. "Reaction of House Prices to a New Rapid Transit Line: Chicago's Midway Line, 1983-1999," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 463-486, 09.
- Juan Carlos Mendieta & Jorge Andrés Perdomo, 2007. "Especificación y estimación de un modelo de precios hedónico espacial para evaluar el impacto de Transmilenio sobre el valor de la propiedad en Bogotá," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 004280, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Francisco Mart�nez & Claudio Araya, 2000. "Transport and land-use benefits under location externalities," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 32(9), pages 1611-1624, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:43:y:2009:i:5:p:560-571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.