Reconsidering the Role of Training in Event Volunteers' Satisfaction
The demand for volunteers to help plan and run sport events continues to rise. In order to better recruit and retain volunteers, there is a need to identify the means by which to enhance their overall satisfaction with the volunteer experience. One hundred and forty-seven non-specialist volunteers from the Sunbelt IndyCarnival completed questionnaires measuring their job satisfaction, evaluation of their training, organisational commitment, sense of community at the event, and satisfaction with their opportunities to share opinions and experiences during training. ALISREL model was formulated to test the relationships among the variables. Their sense of community had a positive effect on their commitment to the event organisation, and their commitment to the organisation had a direct effect on their job satisfaction. It is argued that the training of event volunteers should be conceived and designed as an opportunity to build a sense of community among volunteers and staff so as to enhance volunteer commitment and satisfaction.
Volume (Year): 9 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuskelly, Graham & Boag, Alistair, 2001. "Organisational Commitment as a Predictor of Committee Member Turnover among Volunteer Sport Administrators: Results of a Time-Lagged Study," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 65-86, May.
- Wood, Van R. & Chonko, Lawrence B. & Hunt, Shelby D., 1986. "Social responsibility and personal success: Are they incompatible?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 193-212, June.
- Munoz de Bustillo Llorente, Rafael & Fernandez Macias, Enrique, 2005. "Job satisfaction as an indicator of the quality of work," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 656-673, October.
- Christine Green, B., 2001. "Leveraging Subculture and Identity to Promote Sport Events," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-19, May.
- N/A, 1996. "Events," Psychology and Developing Societies, , vol. 8(2), pages 287-288, September.