The effects of inequality, fragmentation, and social capital on collective action in a homogeneous society: Analyzing responses to the 2005 Japan Census
Using the initial response data to the 2005 Japan Census, I tried to ascertain the main determinants of the rate of uncollection. The major findings are as follows: (1) The decay of social capital lowers the response rate. (2) Inequality is associated with a low response rate, while generational heterogeneity is associated with a high response rate. This finding differs from the findings of previous studies. In sum, the effects of heterogeneities on collective action depend upon the features of society.
Volume (Year): 37 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leigh, Andrew, 2006.
"Does equality lead to fraternity?,"
Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 121-125, October.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, .
"Participation in Heterogeneous Communities,"
151, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Baqir, Reza & Easterly, William & Alesina, Alberto, 1999.
"Public Goods and Ethnic Divisions,"
4551797, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & William Easterly, 1997. "Public Goods and Ethnic Divisions," NBER Working Papers 6009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto & Baqir, Reza & Easterly, William, 1999. "Public goods and ethnic divisions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2108, The World Bank.
- Andrew Leigh, 2006.
"Trust, Inequality, and Ethnic Heterogeneity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
511, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Deirdre N. McCloskey & Stephen T. Ziliak, 1996. "The Standard Error of Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 97-114, March.
- La Porta, Rafael, et al, 1997.
"Trust in Large Organizations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 333-38, May.
- Jacob L. Vigdor, 2004. "Community Composition and Collective Action: Analyzing Initial Mail Response to the 2000 Census," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 303-312, February.
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2002.
"Who trusts others?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 207-234, August.
- La Ferrara, Eliana & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Participation in Heterogeneous Communities," Scholarly Articles 4551796, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:37:y:2008:i:5:p:2054-2058. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.