Homeownership and investment for social capital in Japan: Dynamic Panel approach
This paper explores how the rate of home-ownership and income inequality are related to the formation of social capital using panel data from Japan during the period 19862006. I have used Dynamic Panel estimation to control unobserved prefecture-specific fixed effects and an endogeneity bias. I have found through this estimation that the rate of home-ownership enhances the participation in voluntary activities, leading to social capital accumulation. This is in accord with findings from the United States (DiPasquale and Glaeser, 1999).
|Date of creation:||10 Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mina Baliamoune-Lutz, 2009. "Human Well-Being Effects Of Institutions And Social Capital," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(1), pages 54-66, 01.
- Denise DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1998.
"Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?,"
NBER Working Papers
6363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DiPasquale, Denise & Glaeser, Edward L., 1999. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 354-384, March.
- Denice DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1997. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1815, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, .
"Participation in Heterogeneous Communities,"
151, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Hilber, Christian A. L., 2007. "New Housing Supply and the Dilution of Social Capital," MPRA Paper 5134, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hilber, Christian A.L., 2010.
"New housing supply and the dilution of social capital,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 419-437, May.
- Christian A. L. Hilber, 2010. "New Housing Supply and the Dilution of Social Capital," SERC Discussion Papers 0042, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Christian A. L. Hilber, 2007. "New housing supply and the dilution of social capital," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3573, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- La Ferrara, Eliana & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Participation in Heterogeneous Communities," Scholarly Articles 4551796, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hilber, Christian A. L., 2007. "New Housing Supply and the Dilution of Social Capital," MPRA Paper 11620, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Nov 2008.
- Knack, Stephen & Keefer, Philip, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-88, November.
- Hans Westlund, 2007. "Social capital, networks and economic development: An analysis of regional productive systems - By Maria Semitiel Garcia," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(4), pages 657-659, November.
- Maureen Kilkenny, 2008. "Social capital in the knowledge economy: Theory and empirics - By Hans Westlund," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(1), pages 149-152, 03.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David Laibson & Bruce Sacerdote, 2002. "An Economic Approach to Social Capital," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 437-458, November.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2008. "Diffusion of home computers and social networks: a study using Japanese panel data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(15), pages 1231-1235.
- Quentin David & Alexandre Janiak & Etienne Wasmer, 2009.
"Local social capital and geographical mobility,"
CREA Discussion Paper Series
09-11, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Quentin Max David & Alexandre Janiak & Etienne Wasmer, 2010. "Local social capital and geographical mobility," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/133081, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Quentin David & Alexandre Janiak & Etienne Wasmer, 2010. "Local social capital and geographical mobility," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/5l6uh8ogmqi, Sciences Po.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Charles Redlick, 2008. "Social Capital and Urban Growth," NBER Working Papers 14374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yamamura Eiji, 2008. "The Market for Lawyers and Social Capital: Are Informal Rules a Substitute for Formal Ones?," Review of Law & Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 499-517, December.
- Kan, Kamhon, 2007.
"Residential mobility and social capital,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 436-457, May.
- Somnath Chattopadhyay, 2010. "District level poverty estimation: a spatial approach," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(4), pages 2962-2977.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2008. "The effects of inequality, fragmentation, and social capital on collective action in a homogeneous society: Analyzing responses to the 2005 Japan Census," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 2054-2058, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.