Sources of innovation and industry-university interaction: Evidence from Spanish firms
In this paper we use a sample of Spanish innovative firms to identify the determinants of R&D cooperation agreements between five types of partners: firms that belong to the same group; customers and suppliers; competitors; universities; public research centres. We focus on the determinants of R&D cooperation between innovative firms and universities. We used the Spanish version of the Community Innovation Survey (CIS-3) to obtain data about the R&D cooperation of 4150 innovative firms in Spain. To obtain empirical evidence about the determinants of this cooperation, we adopted an integrated approach that enables us to compare the effects of sectorial and individual determinants on the choice of partners. Our results show that a firm's cooperation activities are closely linked to the characteristics of the industry and the characteristics of the firm. These include R&D intensity, size, whether the firm belongs to a group, product and process innovation, and access to public funds for R&D activities. Internal R&D and agreements with customers, suppliers and competitor partners also increase firm's propensity for R&D cooperation with universities.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joanna Poyago-Theotoky & John Beath & Donald S. Siegel, 2002.
"Universities and Fundamental Research: Reflections on the Growth of University--Industry Partnerships,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 10-21, Spring.
- Joanna Poyago-Theotoky & John Beath & Donald S. Siegel, 2002. "Universities and Fundamental Research: Reflections on the Growth of University-Industry Partnership," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 200201, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Schmidt, Tobias, 2005.
"Knowledge Flows and R&D Co-operation: Firm-level Evidence from Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
05-22 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Schmidt, Tobias, 2005. "Knowledge Flows and R&D Co-operation: Firm-level Evidence from Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-22, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Tobias Schmidt, 2005. "Knowledge Flows and R&D Co-operation: Firm-level Evidence from Germany," Development and Comp Systems 0506006, EconWPA.
- De Bondt, Raymond, 1997. "Spillovers and innovative activities," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Lööf, Hans, 2004. "A Comparative Perspective on Innovation and Productivity in Manufacturing and Services," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 1, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2006.
"Innovation and economic performance in services: a firm-level analysis,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 435-458, May.
- Maria Savona & Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista, 2006. "Innovation and economic performance in services. A firm level analysis," Post-Print halshs-00231578, HAL.
- Bonte, Werner & Keilbach, Max, 2005.
"Concubinage or marriage? Informal and formal cooperations for innovation,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 279-302, April.
- Keilbach, Max & Bönte, Werner, 2004. "Concubinage or Marriage? Informal and Formal Cooperations for Innovation," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-11, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Link, Albert N. & Scott, John T. & Siegel, Donald S., 2003. "The economics of intellectual property at universities: an overview of the special issue," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1217-1225, November.
- Santoro, Michael D. & Chakrabarti, Alok K., 2002. "Firm size and technology centrality in industry-university interactions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1163-1180, September.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 1999.
"Measuring Knowledge Spillovers in Manufacturing and Services: An Empirical Assessment of Alternative Approaches,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
99-62, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2002. "Measuring knowledge spillovers in manufacturing and services: an empirical assessment of alternative approaches," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 125-144, January.
- Masao Nakamura & Pierre Mohnen & Cathy Hoareau, 2003.
"What type of enterprise forges close links with universities and government labs? Evidence from CIS 2,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2-3), pages 133-145.
- Mohnen Pierre & Hoareau Cathy, 2002. "What type of enterprise forges close links with universities and government labs? Evidence from CIS2," Research Memorandum 009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Cathy Hoareau & Pierre Mohnen, 2002. "What Type Of Enterprise Forges Close Links With Universities And Government Labs? Evidence From CIS 2," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-25, CIRANO.
- Laura Abramovsky & Elisabeth Kremp & Alberto López & Tobias Schmidt & Helen Simpson, 2005. "Understanding co-operative R&D activity: evidence from four European countries," IFS Working Papers W05/23, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Feller, Irwin, 1990. "Universities as engines of R&D-based economic growth: They think they can," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 335-348, August.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Mowery, David C & Sampat, Bhaven N, 2001. "Patenting and Licensing University Inventions: Lessons from the History of the Research Corporation," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 317-55, June.
- Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2002. "R&D Cooperation and Spillovers: Some Empirical Evidence from Belgium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1169-1184, September.
- Mora-Valentin, Eva M. & Montoro-Sanchez, Angeles & Guerras-Martin, Luis A., 2004. "Determining factors in the success of R&D cooperative agreements between firms and research organizations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 17-40, January.
- Tether, Bruce S., 2002. "Who co-operates for innovation, and why: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 947-967, August.
- Arbussa, Anna & Coenders, Germa, 2007. "Innovation activities, use of appropriation instruments and absorptive capacity: Evidence from Spanish firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1545-1558, December.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Cassiman, Bruno, 1999. "Make and buy in innovation strategies: evidence from Belgian manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
- Fontana, Roberto & Geuna, Aldo & Matt, Mireille, 2006. "Factors affecting university-industry R&D projects: The importance of searching, screening and signalling," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 309-323, March.
- Wang, Jiann-Chyuan, 1994. "Cooperative research in a newly industrialized country: Taiwan," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 697-711, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:37:y:2008:i:8:p:1283-1295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.