A Comparative Perspective on Innovation and Productivity in Manufacturing and Services
This paper serves as another complementary link in a chain of a rather limited number of investigations in the R&D-innovation-productivity relationship within service industries. Innovation has been found to be a major contributor to productivity growth in manufacturing. In this paper, the importance of innovation is explored by comparing manufacturing and service firms in a sample of knowledge intensive industries. In particular we intend to find evidence on the following two issues. First, is there any evidence that the reported weak rate of productivity growth in knowledge intensive services can be explained by a low propensity to be innovative? Second, is it possible that knowledge intensive service firms are less efficient in deriving benefits from innovation than knowledge intensive manufacturing firms? Empirical results based on innovation survey data indicate a surprising similarity in innovation performance between the two categories of firms.
|Date of creation:||28 Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Entrepreneurship, the New Economy and Public Policy, Scumpeterian Perspectives. Editors Uwe Cantner, Elias Dinopoulos and Robert F. Lanzilotti, Cantner, Uwe, Dinopoulos, Elias, Lanzillotti, Robert F (eds.), 2004, chapter 10, pages 181-202, Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies, Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1996. "A Reprise of Size and R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 925-51, July.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Working Papers 98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Freeman, C., 1991. "Networks of innovators: A synthesis of research issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 499-514, October.
- Jacques Mairesse & Christian Baudelot, 1988. "Introduction," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 39(1), pages 7-11.
- Paul A. Armknecht & Daniel H. Ginsburg, 1992. "Improvements in Measuring Price Changes in Consumer Services: Past, Present, and Future," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 109-157 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "Macroeconomics of Unbalanced Growth: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 150, March.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M., 2000. "Outsourcing of services, imported materials and the demand for heterogeneous labour : an application of a generalised box-cox function," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-51, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric, 2000. "Returns to firm-provided training: evidence from French worker-firm matched data1," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-19, January.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9833 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cesisp:0001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vardan Hovsepyan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.