Factors determining household use of clean and renewable energy sources for lighting in Sub-Saharan Africa
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Démurger, Sylvie & Fournier, Martin, 2011.
"Poverty and firewood consumption: A case study of rural households in northern China,"
China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 512-523.
- Sylvie Démurger & Martin Fournier, 2010. "Poverty and firewood consumption : A case study of rural households in northern China," Working Papers 1020, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique Lyon St-Étienne (GATE Lyon St-Étienne), Université de Lyon.
- Sylvie Démurger & Martin Fournier, 2011. "Poverty and firewood consumption : A case study of rural households in northern China," Post-Print halshs-00522660, HAL.
- Narasimha Rao, M. & Reddy, B. Sudhakara, 2007. "Variations in energy use by Indian households: An analysis of micro level data," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 143-153.
- Reddy, B. Sudhakara & Srinivas, T., 2009. "Energy use in Indian household sector – An actor-oriented approach," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 992-1002.
- Akpalu, Wisdom & Dasmani, Isaac & Aglobitse, Peter B., 2011.
"Demand for cooking fuels in a developing country: To what extent do taste and preferences matter?,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6525-6531, October.
- Wisdom Akpalu & Isaac Dasmani & Peter B. Aglobitse, 2011. "Demand for cooking fuels in a developing country. To what extent do taste and preferences matter?," Working Papers 243, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini, Massimo & Pachauri, Shonali, 2007. "Fuel choices in urban Indian households," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(6), pages 757-774, December.
- Gebreegziabher, Zenebe & Mekonnen, Alemu & Kassie, Menale & Köhlin, Gunnar, 2012.
"Urban energy transition and technology adoption: The case of Tigrai, northern Ethiopia,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 410-418.
- Gebreegziabher, Zenebe & Mekonnen, Alemu & Kassie, Menale & Köhlin, Gunnar, 2010. "Urban Energy Transition and Technology Adoption: The Case of Tigrai, Northern Ethiopia," Discussion Papers dp-10-22-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Rasmus Heltberg & Thomas Channing Arndt & Nagothu Udaya Sekhar, 2000. "Fuelwood Consumption and Forest Degradation: A Household Model for Domestic Energy Substitution in Rural India," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(2), pages 213-232.
- Muller, Christophe & Yan, Huijie, 2018.
"Household fuel use in developing countries: Review of theory and evidence,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 429-439.
- Christophe Muller & Huijie Yan, 2016. "Household Fuel Use in Developing Countries: Review of Theory and Evidence," AMSE Working Papers 1613, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, France, revised Mar 2016.
- Christophe Muller & Huijie Yan, 2018. "Household fuel use in developing countries: Review of theory and evidence," Post-Print hal-01717823, HAL.
- Christophe Muller & Huijie Yan, 2016. "Household Fuel Use in Developing Countries: Review of Theory and Evidence," Working Papers halshs-01290714, HAL.
- Ouedraogo, Boukary, 2006. "Household energy preferences for cooking in urban Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3787-3795, December.
- Rahut, Dil Bahadur & Das, Sukanya & De Groote, Hugo & Behera, Bhagirath, 2014. "Determinants of household energy use in Bhutan," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 661-672.
- Behera, Bhagirath & Rahut, Dil Bahadur & Jeetendra, Aryal & Ali, Akhter, 2015. "Household collection and use of biomass energy sources in South Asia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 85(C), pages 468-480.
- Masera, Omar R. & Saatkamp, Barbara D. & Kammen, Daniel M., 2000. "From Linear Fuel Switching to Multiple Cooking Strategies: A Critique and Alternative to the Energy Ladder Model," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2083-2103, December.
- Pachauri, Shonali, 2004. "An analysis of cross-sectional variations in total household energy requirements in India using micro survey data," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(15), pages 1723-1735, October.
- Leach, Gerald, 1975. "Energy and food production," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 62-73, November.
- Pachauri, Shonali & Jiang, Leiwen, 2008. "The household energy transition in India and China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4022-4035, November.
- Rahut, Dil Bahadur & Behera, Bhagirath & Ali, Akhter, 2016. "Household energy choice and consumption intensity: Empirical evidence from Bhutan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 993-1009.
- Paul Adjei Kwakwa & Edward Debrah Wiafe & Hamdiyah Alhassan, 2013. "Households Energy Choice in Ghana," Journal of Empirical Economics, Research Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 1(3), pages 96-103.
- Nepal, Mani & Nepal, Apsara & Grimsrud, Kristine, 2011.
"Unbelievable but improved cookstoves are not helpful in reducing firewood demand in Nepal,"
Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Mani Nepal & Apsara Nepal & Kristine Grimsrud, 2011. "Unbelievable but True â€” Improved Cook-stoves are not Helpful in Reducing Firewood Demand in Nepal," Working Papers id:3408, eSocialSciences.
- Hills, Peter, 1994. "Household energy transition in Hong Kong," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 517-528.
- Heltberg, Rasmus, 2004. "Fuel switching: evidence from eight developing countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 869-887, September.
- Yao, Chunsheng & Chen, Chongying & Li, Ming, 2012. "Analysis of rural residential energy consumption and corresponding carbon emissions in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 445-450.
- Leach, Gerald, 1992. "The energy transition," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 116-123, February.
- Dewees, Peter A., 1989. "The woodfuel crisis reconsidered: Observations on the dynamics of abundance and scarcity," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(8), pages 1159-1172, August.
- Khandker, Shahidur R. & Barnes, Douglas F. & Samad, Hussain A., 2012. "Are the energy poor also income poor? Evidence from India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 1-12.
- Kaygusuz, Kamil, 2012. "Energy for sustainable development: A case of developing countries," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 1116-1126.
- Farhar, Barbara C., 1998. "Gender and renewable energy: Policy, analysis, and market implications," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 230-239.
- Gupta, Gautam & Kohlin, Gunnar, 2006. "Preferences for domestic fuel: Analysis with socio-economic factors and rankings in Kolkata, India," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 107-121, April.
- Huang, Wen-Hsiu, 2015. "The determinants of household electricity consumption in Taiwan: Evidence from quantile regression," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(C), pages 120-133.
- Israel, Debra, 2002. "Fuel Choice in Developing Countries: Evidence from Bolivia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(4), pages 865-890, July.
- Daioglou, Vassilis & van Ruijven, Bas J. & van Vuuren, Detlef P., 2012. "Model projections for household energy use in developing countries," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 601-615.
- Heltberg, Rasmus, 2005. "Factors determining household fuel choice in Guatemala," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(3), pages 337-361, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jingchao, Zhang & Kotani, Koji & Saijo, Tatsuyoshi, 2019.
"Low-quality or high-quality coal? Household energy choice in rural Beijing,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 81-90.
- Zhang Jingchao & Koji Kotani & Tatsuyoshi Saijo, 2017. "Low-quality or high-quality coal: Household energy choice in rural Beijing," Working Papers SDES-2017-6, Kochi University of Technology, School of Economics and Management, revised May 2017.
- Fadly, Dalia & Fontes, Francisco, 2019. "Geographical proximity and renewable energy diffusion: An empirical approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 129(C), pages 422-435.
- Yaghoubi, Jafar & Yazdanpanah, Masoud & Komendantova, Nadejda, 2019. "Iranian agriculture advisors' perception and intention toward biofuel: Green way toward energy security, rural development and climate change mitigation," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 130(C), pages 452-459.
- Rahut, Dil Bahadur & Behera, Bhagirath & Ali, Akhter & Marenya, Paswel, 2017. "A ladder within a ladder: Understanding the factors influencing a household's domestic use of electricity in four African countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 167-181.
- Aliyu Salisu Barau & Aliyu Haidar Abubakar & Abdul-Hakim Ibrahim Kiyawa, 2020. "Not There Yet: Mapping Inhibitions to Solar Energy Utilisation by Households in African Informal Urban Neighbourhoods," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(3), pages 1-1, January.
- Harrington, Elise & Athavankar, Ameya & Hsu, David, 2020. "Variation in rural household energy transitions for basic lighting in India," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 119(C).
- Martey, Edward, 2019. "Tenancy and energy choice for lighting and cooking: Evidence from Ghana," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 570-581.
- Matheri, A.N. & Ndiweni, S.N. & Belaid, M. & Muzenda, E. & Hubert, R., 2017. "Optimising biogas production from anaerobic co-digestion of chicken manure and organic fraction of municipal solid waste," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 756-764.
- Stabridis, Omar & van Gameren, Edwin, 2018. "Exposure to firewood: Consequences for health and labor force participation in Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 107(C), pages 382-395.
- Edgar Ojeda Camargo & John E. Candelo-Becerra & Alcides Santander Mercado, 2019. "Lexicographic Multi-objective Optimisation of Hybrid Power Generation Systems for Communities in Non-Interconnected Zones," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 9(3), pages 205-217.
More about this item
KeywordsEnergy choice; Switch; Renewable; Wealth; Education; Gender; Lighting; Africa;
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:72:y:2017:i:c:p:661-672. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.