A critical review on energy use and savings in the cement industries
The cement sub-sector consumes approximately 12-15% of total industrial energy use. Therefore, a state of art review on the energy use and savings is necessary to identify energy wastage so that necessary measures could be implemented to reduce energy consumption in this sub-sector. In this paper energy use at different sections of cement industries, specific energy consumption, types of energy use, details of cement manufacturing processes, various energy savings measures were reviewed and presented. Various energy savings measures were critically analyzed considering amount of energy that can be saved along with the implementation cost. Amount of CO2 reduction has been presented along with the payback period for different energy savings measures as well. This study complied a comprehensive literature on the cement industries in terms of Thesis (MS and PhD), peer reviewed journals papers, conference proceedings, books, reports, websites. It has been observed that China producing major share of global cement production. Coal contribute major share of fuel used in cement industries. However, along with conventional fuels, industries are moving towards the use of alternative fuels to reduce environmental pollution. It was reported that cement industries are moving from wet process to dry process as it consume less energy compared to wet process.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Worrell, Ernst & Martin, Nathan & Price, Lynn, 2000. "Potentials for energy efficiency improvement in the US cement industry," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1189-1214.
- Al-Ghandoor, A. & Al-Hinti, I. & Jaber, J.O. & Sawalha, S.A., 2008. "Electricity consumption and associated GHG emissions of the Jordanian industrial sector: Empirical analysis and future projection," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 258-267, January.
- Mokrzycki, Eugeniusz & Uliasz-Bochenczyk, Alicja & Sarna, Mieczyslaw, 2003. "Use of alternative fuels in the Polish cement industry," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-2), pages 101-111, January.
- Sheinbaum, Claudia & Ozawa, Leticia, 1998. "Energy use and CO2 emissions for Mexico's cement industry," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 725-732.
- Gielen, Dolf & Taylor, Peter, 2009. "Indicators for industrial energy efficiency in India," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 962-969.
- Xu, Tengfang & Flapper, Joris, 2009. "Energy use and implications for efficiency strategies in global fluid-milk processing industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5334-5341, December.
- Abdelaziz, E.A. & Saidur, R. & Mekhilef, S., 2011. "A review on energy saving strategies in industrial sector," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 150-168, January.
- Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Hasanuzzaman, M., 2010. "A review on compressed-air energy use and energy savings," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1135-1153, May.
- Saidur, R., 2010. "A review on electrical motors energy use and energy savings," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 877-898, April.
- Price, Alan C. & Ross, Marc H., 1989. "Reducing industrial electricity costs--an automative case study," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 40-51, July.
- Jeferson Borghetti Soares & Maurício Tiomno Tolmasquim, 2000. "Energy efficiency and reduction of Co2 emissions through 2015: The Brazilian cement industry," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 297-318, September.
- Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Ping, H.W. & Jahirul, M.I. & Mekhilef, S. & Masjuki, H.H., 2009. "Energy and emission analysis for industrial motors in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3650-3658, September.
- Kabir, G. & Abubakar, A.I. & El-Nafaty, U.A., 2010. "Energy audit and conservation opportunities for pyroprocessing unit of a typical dry process cement plant," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1237-1243.
- Kumar Mandal, Sabuj & Madheswaran, S., 2010.
"Environmental efficiency of the Indian cement industry: An interstate analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 1108-1118, February.
- Sabuj Kumar Mandal & S Madheswaran, 2009. "Environmental Efficiency of the Indian Cement Industry: An Interstate Analysis," Working Papers 227, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Mokrzycki, Eugeniusz & Uliasz- Bochenczyk, Alicja, 2003. "Alternative fuels for the cement industry," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-2), pages 95-100, January.
- Luna, D. & Nadeau, J.-P. & Jannot, Y., 2010. "Model and simulation of a solar kiln with energy storage," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2533-2542.
- Steenhof, Paul A., 2006. "Decomposition of electricity demand in China's industrial sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 370-384, May.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C. & Ussanarassamee, Arjaree, 2005. "Changes in energy intensities of Thai industry between 1981 and 2000: a decomposition analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 995-1002, May.
- Hasanbeigi, Ali & Price, Lynn & Lu, Hongyou & Lan, Wang, 2010. "Analysis of energy-efficiency opportunities for the cement industry in Shandong Province, China: A case study of 16 cement plants," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 3461-3473.
- Al-Mansour, Fouad & Merse, Stane & Tomsic, Miha, 2003. "Comparison of energy efficiency strategies in the industrial sector of Slovenia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 421-440.
- Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Masjuki, H.H. & Mekhilef, S. & Ping, H.W. & Jamaluddin, M.F., 2009. "End-use energy analysis in the Malaysian industrial sector," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 153-158. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:4:p:2042-2060. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.