A review on electrical motors energy use and energy savings
The industrial sector is the largest users of energy around the world. Industrial motor uses a major fraction of total industrial energy uses. This paper describes a comprehensive literature review about electric motor energy analysis. This paper compiles latest literatures in terms of thesis (MS and PhD), journal articles, conference proceedings, web materials, reports, books, handbooks on electrical motor energy use, losses, efficiency, energy savings strategies. Different types of losses that occur in a motor have been identified and ways to overcome these losses explained. An energy audit that helps to identify motor energy wastages have been discussed extensively. As motors are the major energy users, different energy savings strategies such as use of high-efficient motor, variable speed drive (VSD), and capacitor bank to improve the power factor to reduce their energy uses have reviewed. Different policy measures (i.e. regulatory, voluntary and incentives based) to save motor energy use have been reviewed and presented in this paper. In this review, computer tools that can be used to analyze electric motors energy used has been discussed. Cost parameters to carry out economic analysis have been shown as well. Moreover, payback period for different energy savings strategies have been identified.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Ming, 2006. "Demand side management in Nepal," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(14), pages 2677-2698.
- Price, Alan C. & Ross, Marc H., 1989. "Reducing industrial electricity costs--an automative case study," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 40-51, July.
- Ozturk, Harun Kemal, 2005. "Energy usage and cost in textile industry: A case study for Turkey," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(13), pages 2424-2446.
- Mecrow, B.C. & Jack, A.G., 2008. "Efficiency trends in electric machines and drives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4336-4341, December.
- Oikonomou, V. & Patel, M.K. & van der Gaast, W. & Rietbergen, M., 2009. "Voluntary agreements with white certificates for energy efficiency improvement as a hybrid policy instrument," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1970-1982, May.
- Fromme, JW, 1996. "Energy conservation in the Russian manufacturing industry. Potentials and obstacles," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 245-252, March.
- Akbaba, Mehmet, 1999. "Energy conservation by using energy efficient electric motors," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-4), pages 149-158, September.
- Ibrik, Imad H. & Mahmoud, Marwan M., 2005. "Energy efficiency improvement procedures and audit results of electrical, thermal and solar applications in Palestine," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 651-658, March.
- Al-Mansour, Fouad & Merse, Stane & Tomsic, Miha, 2003. "Comparison of energy efficiency strategies in the industrial sector of Slovenia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 421-440.
- Ho, J.C. & Chou, S.K. & Chandratilleke, T.T., 1991. "Energy audit of a steel mill," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 16(7), pages 1021-1029.
- Al-Ghandoor, A. & Al-Hinti, I. & Jaber, J.O. & Sawalha, S.A., 2008. "Electricity consumption and associated GHG emissions of the Jordanian industrial sector: Empirical analysis and future projection," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 258-267, January.
- Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Masjuki, H.H. & Mekhilef, S. & Ping, H.W. & Jamaluddin, M.F., 2009. "End-use energy analysis in the Malaysian industrial sector," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 153-158.
- de Almeida, Aníbal T & Fonseca, Paula & Bertoldi, Paolo, 2003. "Energy-efficient motor systems in the industrial and in the services sectors in the European Union: characterisation, potentials, barriers and policies," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 673-690.
- Bennett, M. & Newborough, M., 2001. "Auditing energy use in cities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 125-134, January.
- Tang, John C. S. & Chirarattananon, Surapong & Petchsantad, Kitti, 1995. "Motor program for the DSM plan for Thailand," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 65-71.
- Linden, Anna-Lisa & Carlsson-Kanyama, Annika, 2002. "Voluntary agreements--a measure for energy-efficiency in industry? Lessons from a Swedish programme," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 897-905, August.
- Ghaddar, Nesreen & Mezher, Toufic, 1999. "Modeling of current and future energyintensity and greenhouse gas emissions ofthe Lebanese industrial sector: assessmentof mitigation options," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 53-74, May.
- Taylor, A.E.B. & O'Callaghan, P.W. & Probert, S.D., 1993. "Energy audit of an English farm," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 315-335.
- Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Ping, H.W. & Jahirul, M.I. & Mekhilef, S. & Masjuki, H.H., 2009. "Energy and emission analysis for industrial motors in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3650-3658, September.
- B. Howarth, Richard & Haddad, Brent M. & Paton, Bruce, 2000. "The economics of energy efficiency: insights from voluntary participation programs," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6-7), pages 477-486, June.
- Garcia, Agenor Gomes Pinto & Szklo, Alexandre S. & Schaeffer, Roberto & McNeil, Michael A., 2007. "Energy-efficiency standards for electric motors in Brazilian industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3424-3439, June.
- Thollander, Patrik & Karlsson, Magnus & Söderström, Mats & Creutz, Dan, 2005. "Reducing industrial energy costs through energy-efficiency measures in a liberalized European electricity market: case study of a Swedish iron foundry," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 115-126, June.
- Chan, David Yih-Liang & Yang, Kuang-Han & Hsu, Chung-Hsuan & Chien, Min-Hsien & Hong, Gui-Bing, 2007. "Current situation of energy conservation in high energy-consuming industries in Taiwan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 202-209, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:14:y:2010:i:3:p:877-898. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.