A review on compressed-air energy use and energy savings
Compressed-air systems account for about 10% of total industrial-energy use for few selected countries as found in literatures. Compressed air is typically one of the most expensive utilities in an industrial facility. This paper describes a comprehensive literature review about compressed air energy use, savings, and payback period of energy efficient strategies. This paper compiles latest literatures in terms of thesis (MS and PhD), journal articles, conference proceedings, web materials, reports, books, handbooks on compressed air energy use, efficiency, energy savings strategies. Computer tools for compressed air analysis have been reviewed and presented in this paper. Various energy-saving measures, such as use of highly efficient motors, VSD, leak prevention, use of outside intake air, reducing pressure drop, recovering waste heat, use of efficient nozzle, and use of variable displacement compressor to save compressed-air energy have been reviewed. Based on review results, it has been found that for an electric motor used in a compressed-air system, a sizeable amount of electric energy and utility bill can be saved using high efficient motors and applying VSDs in matching speed requirements. Also, significant amounts of energy and emission are reducible through various energy-saving strategies. Payback periods for different energy savings measures have been identified and found to be economically viable in most cases.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Al-Ghandoor, A. & Al-Hinti, I. & Jaber, J.O. & Sawalha, S.A., 2008. "Electricity consumption and associated GHG emissions of the Jordanian industrial sector: Empirical analysis and future projection," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 258-267, January.
- Taylor, A.E.B. & O'Callaghan, P.W. & Probert, S.D., 1993. "Energy audit of an English farm," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 315-335.
- Garcia, Agenor Gomes Pinto & Szklo, Alexandre S. & Schaeffer, Roberto & McNeil, Michael A., 2007. "Energy-efficiency standards for electric motors in Brazilian industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3424-3439, June.
- Chan, David Yih-Liang & Yang, Kuang-Han & Hsu, Chung-Hsuan & Chien, Min-Hsien & Hong, Gui-Bing, 2007. "Current situation of energy conservation in high energy-consuming industries in Taiwan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 202-209, January.
- Ibrik, Imad H. & Mahmoud, Marwan M., 2005. "Energy efficiency improvement procedures and audit results of electrical, thermal and solar applications in Palestine," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 651-658, March.
- Yang, Ming, 2009. "Air compressor efficiency in a Vietnamese enterprise," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2327-2337, June.
- Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Ping, H.W. & Jahirul, M.I. & Mekhilef, S. & Masjuki, H.H., 2009. "Energy and emission analysis for industrial motors in Malaysia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3650-3658, September.
- Fromme, JW, 1996. "Energy conservation in the Russian manufacturing industry. Potentials and obstacles," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 245-252, March.
- Thollander, Patrik & Karlsson, Magnus & Söderström, Mats & Creutz, Dan, 2005. "Reducing industrial energy costs through energy-efficiency measures in a liberalized European electricity market: case study of a Swedish iron foundry," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 115-126, June.
- Mecrow, B.C. & Jack, A.G., 2008. "Efficiency trends in electric machines and drives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4336-4341, December.
- Bennett, M. & Newborough, M., 2001. "Auditing energy use in cities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 125-134, January.
- Akbaba, Mehmet, 1999. "Energy conservation by using energy efficient electric motors," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-4), pages 149-158, September.
- Rubin, Edward S. & Chen, Chao & Rao, Anand B., 2007. "Cost and performance of fossil fuel power plants with CO2 capture and storage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4444-4454, September.
- Al-Mansour, Fouad & Merse, Stane & Tomsic, Miha, 2003. "Comparison of energy efficiency strategies in the industrial sector of Slovenia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 421-440.
- Saidur, R. & Rahim, N.A. & Masjuki, H.H. & Mekhilef, S. & Ping, H.W. & Jamaluddin, M.F., 2009. "End-use energy analysis in the Malaysian industrial sector," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 153-158.
- Tang, John C. S. & Chirarattananon, Surapong & Petchsantad, Kitti, 1995. "Motor program for the DSM plan for Thailand," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 65-71.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:14:y:2010:i:4:p:1135-1153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.