Firm size and sustainable performance in food supply chains: Insights from Greek SMEs
This paper analyses sustainable performance differences within the Greek food supply chain and provides numerous statistical comparisons of its key members (growers, manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers) with respect to firm size. In an attempt to fill a gap in the relevant literature, we examined micro, small and medium-sized firms against a set of sustainable performance measures and we employed survey research using a sample of 997 firms operating in the Greek food supply chain. Key informants evaluated their firms based on sustainable performance measures (consumption, flexibility, responsiveness, product quality and total supply chain performance). The results were analysed using ANOVA. The findings identify the Greek food supply chain members who over-perform or underperform in relation to size. These include small growers, wholesalers, retailers, medium-sized manufacturers and wholesalers, micro manufacturers and retailers. Specific reasons are provided for these sustainability performance differentials including the role of locality as well as the asset and resource intensity of some operations (e.g. manufacturing). Another key finding relates to small firms which are the top performers in terms of sustainability performance measures especially in the areas of flexibility and responsiveness. Members of this chain also underperform in the product conservation time measure, irrespective of size, and we highlight the urgent need for this to be addressed. Findings of this paper will prove useful for food SMEs and policymakers planning to introduce specific sustainability incentives related to firm size and to the food chain.
Volume (Year): 152 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scott, James A. & Ho, William & Dey, Prasanta K., 2013. "Strategic sourcing in the UK bioenergy industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 478-490.
- Porter, Michael E, 1974. "Consumer Behavior, Retailer Power and Market Performance in Consumer Goods Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(4), pages 419-36, November.
- Molnar, Adrienn & Gellynck, Xavier, 2009. "Performance Imbalances In The Chain: Eu Traditional Food Sector," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, vol. 3.
- Gerbens-Leenes, P. W. & Moll, H. C. & Schoot Uiterkamp, A. J. M., 2003. "Design and development of a measuring method for environmental sustainability in food production systems," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 231-248, September.
- P Langston & G P Clarke & D B Clarke, 1997. "Retail Saturation, Retail Location, and Retail Competition: An Analysis of British Grocery Retailing," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 77-104, January.
- Coley, David & Howard, Mark & Winter, Michael, 2009. "Local food, food miles and carbon emissions: A comparison of farm shop and mass distribution approaches," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 150-155, April.
- Hassini, Elkafi & Surti, Chirag & Searcy, Cory, 2012. "A literature review and a case study of sustainable supply chains with a focus on metrics," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 69-82.
- Willem Ziggers, Gerrit & Trienekens, Jacques, 1999. "Quality assurance in food and agribusiness supply chains: Developing successful partnerships," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 271-279, April.
- Kumar, Sameer & Putnam, Valora, 2008. "Cradle to cradle: Reverse logistics strategies and opportunities across three industry sectors," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 305-315, October.
- Tran Dieu, 2006. "Greening Food Processing Industries In Vietnam: Opportunities And Constraints," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 229-249, May.
- Gunasekaran, A. & Patel, C. & McGaughey, Ronald E., 2004. "A framework for supply chain performance measurement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 333-347, February.
- Gimenez, Cristina & Sierra, Vicenta & Rodon, Juan, 2012. "Sustainable operations: Their impact on the triple bottom line," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 149-159.
- Hazell, Peter & Poulton, Colin & Wiggins, Steve & Dorward, Andrew, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: Trajectories and Policy Priorities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1349-1361, October.
- Nieuwenhuis, Paul & Beresford, Anthony & Choi, Andrew Ki-Young, 2012. "Shipping or local production? CO2 impact of a strategic decision: An automotive industry case study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 138-148.
- Persson, Fredrik & Olhager, Jan, 2002. "Performance simulation of supply chain designs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 231-245, June.
- Chow, Wing S. & Madu, Christian N. & Kuei, Chu-Hua & Lu, Min H. & Lin, Chinho & Tseng, Hojung, 2008. "Supply chain management in the US and Taiwan: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 665-679, October.
- Elgazzar, Sara H. & Tipi, Nicoleta S. & Hubbard, Nick J. & Leach, David Z., 2012. "Linking supply chain processes’ performance to a company’s financial strategic objectives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(1), pages 276-289.
- Lohman, Clemens & Fortuin, Leonard & Wouters, Marc, 2004. "Designing a performance measurement system: A case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 267-286, July.
- Michael Maloni & Michael Brown, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility in the Supply Chain: An Application in the Food Industry," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 35-52, September.
- Harris, James Michael & Kaufman, Phillip R. & Martinez, Stephen W. & Price, Charlene C., 2002. "The U.S. Food Marketing System, 2002: Competition, Coordination, And Technological Innovations Into The 21st Century," Agricultural Economics Reports 34001, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Carter, Craig R. & Kale, Rahul & Grimm, Curtis M., 2000. "Environmental purchasing and firm performance: an empirical investigation," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 219-228, September.
- Heller, Martin C. & Keoleian, Gregory A., 2003. "Assessing the sustainability of the US food system: a life cycle perspective," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 1007-1041, June.
- Lai, Kee-Hung & Ngai, E. W. T. & Cheng, T. C. E., 2004. "An empirical study of supply chain performance in transport logistics," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 321-331, February.
- P Langston & G P Clarke & D B Clarke, 1997. "Retail saturation, retail location, and retail competition: an analysis of British grocery retailing," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 29(1), pages 77-104, January.
- Arend, Richard J. & Wisner, Joel D., 2005. "Small business and supply chain management: is there a fit?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 403-436, May.
- Wu, Guo-Ciang & Ding, Jyh-Hong & Chen, Ping-Shun, 2012. "The effects of GSCM drivers and institutional pressures on GSCM practices in Taiwan’s textile and apparel industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 618-636.
- Robert D. Klassen & Curtis P. McLaughlin, 1996. "The Impact of Environmental Management on Firm Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1199-1214, August.
- Bogataj, Marija & Bogataj, Ludvik & Vodopivec, Robert, 2005. "Stability of perishable goods in cold logistic chains," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 345-356, January.
- Angeloantonio Russo & Antonio Tencati, 2009. "Formal vs. Informal CSR Strategies: Evidence from Italian Micro, Small, Medium-sized, and Large Firms," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 85(2), pages 339-353, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:152:y:2014:i:c:p:112-130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.