Sustainability of manufacturing and services: Investigations for research and applications
Sustainable business development (SBD) in manufacturing and services (M&S) has become a crucial issue in recent years owing to the impact of global warming, terrorism, earthquakes, hurricanes, and carbon footprint awareness, to site but a few causes. Various stakeholders, i.e. members of the human race, have realized that the future of the earth, and therefore that of future generations, is at stake. It is not enough to be successful in business, it is becoming imperative to safeguard the environment, safety and welfare of those alive today and prepare for those yet to come. There has been much discussion across numerous forums and media platforms including academic and industrial reports indicating the importance of SBD. However, few reports provide a complete overview of SBD in M&S, or the strategies and techniques available in the literature that would be helpful for SBD. An attempt has been made in this paper to provide an overview of the available SBD literature by classifying and then critically reviewing the material to develop a framework for SBD and suggest future research directions. This also includes tools, techniques and some performance measures and metrics for SBD. A summary of findings and conclusions are reported at the end of the work.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Yenming J. & Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2009.
"Environmental-regulation pricing strategies for green supply chain management,"
Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(5), pages 667-677, September.
- Chen, Yenming & Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2007. "Environmental-Regulation Pricing Strategies for Green Supply Chain Management," MPRA Paper 25255, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wagner, Marcus & Schaltegger, Stefan, 2004. "The Effect of Corporate Environmental Strategy Choice and Environmental Performance on Competitiveness and Economic Performance:: An Empirical Study of EU Manufacturing," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 557-572, October.
- Herron, Colin & Braiden, Paul M., 2006. "A methodology for developing sustainable quantifiable productivity improvement in manufacturing companies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 143-153, November.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing & Chou, Yi-Hwa & Hu, Chun-Chia, 2005. "An integrated logistics operational model for green-supply chain management," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 287-313, July.
- Gonzalez-Torre, Pilar L. & Adenso-Diaz, B. & Artiba, Hakim, 2004. "Environmental and reverse logistics policies in European bottling and packaging firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 95-104, March.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Cordeiro, James J. & Lai, Kee-Hung, 2008. "Firm-level correlates of emergent green supply chain management practices in the Chinese context," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 577-591, August.
- Walls, Margaret & Calcott, Paul, 2002.
"Waste, Recycling, and "Design for Environment": Roles for Markets and Policy Instruments,"
dp-00-30-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Calcott, Paul & Walls, Margaret, 2005. "Waste, recycling, and "Design for Environment": Roles for markets and policy instruments," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 287-305, November.
- Rondinelli, Dennis & Berry, Michael, 2000. "Multimodal transportation, logistics, and the environment: managing interactions in a global economy," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 398-410, August.
- Walls, Margaret, 2003. "The Role of Economics in Extended Producer Responsibility: Making Policy Choices and Setting Policy Goals," Discussion Papers dp-03-11, Resources For the Future.
- Parikka-Alhola, Katriina, 2008. "Promoting environmentally sound furniture by green public procurement," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1-2), pages 472-485, December.
- Székely, Francisco & Knirsch, Marianna, 2005. "Responsible Leadership and Corporate Social Responsibility:: Metrics for Sustainable Performance," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 628-647, December.
- Cruz-Rivera, Reynaldo & Ertel, Jürgen, 2009. "Reverse logistics network design for the collection of End-of-Life Vehicles in Mexico," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(3), pages 930-939, August.
- Quariguasi Frota Neto, J. & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J.M. & van Nunen, J.A.E.E. & van Heck, H.W.G.M., 2006.
"Designing and Evaluating Sustainable Logistics Networks,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2006-003-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Frota Neto, J. Quariguasi & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J.M. & van Nunen, J.A.E.E. & van Heck, E., 2008. "Designing and evaluating sustainable logistics networks," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 195-208, February.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Lai, Kee-hung, 2008. "Green supply chain management implications for "closing the loop"," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Houe, Raymond & Grabot, Bernard, 2009. "Assessing the compliance of a product with an eco-label: From standards to constraints," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 21-38, September.
- Chung, Chun-Jen & Wee, Hui-Ming, 2008. "Green-component life-cycle value on design and reverse manufacturing in semi-closed supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 528-545, June.
- Fuller, Donald A. & Ottman, Jacquelyn A., 2004. "Moderating unintended pollution: the role of sustainable product design," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(11), pages 1231-1238, November.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing, 2008. "Green supply chain management, reverse logistics and nuclear power generation," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Kumar, Sameer & Putnam, Valora, 2008. "Cradle to cradle: Reverse logistics strategies and opportunities across three industry sectors," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 305-315, October.
- M. De Brito & V. Carbone & C. Blanquart, 2008. "Towards a sustainable fashion retail supply chain in Europe:Organisation and performance," Post-Print hal-00506351, HAL.
- Hu, Guiping & Bidanda, Bopaya, 2009. "Modeling sustainable product lifecycle decision support systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 366-375, November.
- Kainuma, Yasutaka & Tawara, Nobuhiko, 2006. "A multiple attribute utility theory approach to lean and green supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 99-108, May.
- Duchin, Faye & Lange, Glenn-Marie, 1995. "The Future of the Environment: Ecological Economics and Technological Change," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195085747, July.
- Gou, Qinglong & Liang, Liang & Huang, Zhimin & Xu, Chuanyong, 2008. "A joint inventory model for an open-loop reverse supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 28-42, November.
- Hu, Tung-Lai & Sheu, Jiuh-Biing & Huang, Kuan-Hsiung, 2002. "A reverse logistics cost minimization model for the treatment of hazardous wastes," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 457-473, November.
- Tapiero, Charles S. & Kogan, Konstantin, 2008. "Sustainable infrastructure investment with labor-only production," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 876-886, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:140:y:2012:i:1:p:35-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.