The role of environmental management in sustainable business development: A multi-country investigation
This paper investigates the influence of sustainable business development on manufacturing plant operations. Among the three pillars of sustainability consisting of environmental, social and economic longevity and foresight of a firm, we focus on the environmental component. Specifically, basing our arguments on the resource-based view of the firm, we hypothesize the impact of environmental management on plant performance. Environmental initiatives considered include ISO 14000 certification, pollution prevention, recycling of materials, and waste reduction; plant performance is assessed with the dimensions of the four competitive capabilities of quality, delivery, flexibility, and cost. Further, building on the theory of performance frontiers, we investigate these relationships across plants located in different economic regions of the world (plants are classified into emerging, developing and industrialized regions). We suggest that recent emphasis on these environmental initiatives has been greatest among plants located in emerging economies, compared to their counterparts in industrialized and developing nations. In addition, we contend that the influence of these initiatives is greatest for plants located in emerging and developing economies when compared to plants in industrialized nations. These notions are tested with data collected from 1211 plants located in these three economic regions. Overall, this study contributes to the investigation of strategies for sustainable business development, highlighting important implications for both theory and practice.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yang, Ching-Chiao & Marlow, Peter B. & Lu, Chin-Shan, 2009. "Assessing resources, logistics service capabilities, innovation capabilities and the performance of container shipping services in Taiwan," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 4-20, November.
- Nuno Quental & Júlia Lourenço & Fernando da Silva, 2011. "Sustainability: characteristics and scientific roots," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 257-276, April.
- Herron, Colin & Braiden, Paul M., 2006. "A methodology for developing sustainable quantifiable productivity improvement in manufacturing companies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 143-153, November.
- Quiroga, Miguel & Sterner, Thomas & Persson, Martin, 2007.
"Have Countries with Lax Environmental Regulations a Comparative Advantage in Polluting Industries?,"
dp-07-08, Resources For the Future.
- Quiroga, Miguel & Sterner, Thomas & Persson, Martin, 2009. "Have Countries with Lax Environmental Regulations a Comparative Advantage in Polluting Industries?," Working Papers in Economics 412, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Jean-FranÃ§ois Segalotto & Marco Arnone & Bernard Laurens, 2006. "Measures of Central Bank Autonomy: Empirical Evidence for OECD, Developing, and Emerging Market Economies," IMF Working Papers 06/228, International Monetary Fund.
- Yew Wong, Chee & Karia, Noorliza, 2010. "Explaining the competitive advantage of logistics service providers: A resource-based view approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 51-67, November.
- de Ron, Ad J., 1998. "Sustainable production: The ultimate result of a continuous improvement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 99-110, September.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2007.
"The external wealth of nations mark II: Revised and extended estimates of foreign assets and liabilities, 1970-2004,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 223-250, November.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities,1970–2004," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp126, IIIS.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," IMF Working Papers 06/69, International Monetary Fund.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2006. "The External Wealth of Nations Mark II: Revised and Extended Estimates of Foreign Assets and Liabilities, 1970-2004," CEPR Discussion Papers 5644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tate, Wendy L. & Ellram, Lisa M. & Bals, Lydia & Hartmann, Evi, 2009. "Offshore outsourcing of services: An evolutionary perspective," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 512-524, August.
- M. De Brito & V. Carbone & C. Blanquart, 2008. "Towards a sustainable fashion retail supply chain in Europe:Organisation and performance," Post-Print hal-00506351, HAL.
- Jeffrey G. Miller & Aleda V. Roth, 1994. "A Taxonomy of Manufacturing Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(3), pages 285-304, March.
- World Bank, 2010. "World Development Indicators 2010," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4373.
- Michael R Mullen, 1995. "Diagnosing Measurement Equivalence in Cross-National Research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 573-596, September.
- Andrew King & Michael Lenox, 2002. "Exploring the Locus of Profitable Pollution Reduction," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(2), pages 289-299, February.
- González-Benito, Javier & González-Benito, Óscar, 2008. "Operations management practices linked to the adoption of ISO 14001: An empirical analysis of Spanish manufacturers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 60-73, May.
- Zhang, Cheng & Dhaliwal, Jasbir, 2009. "An investigation of resource-based and institutional theoretic factors in technology adoption for operations and supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 252-269, July.
- Seuring, Stefan, 2009. "The product-relationship-matrix as framework for strategic supply chain design based on operations theory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 221-232, July.
- Tong Wang & Beril L. Toktay, 2008. "Inventory Management with Advance Demand Information and Flexible Delivery," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(4), pages 716-732, April.
- Yang, Chen-Lung & Lin, Shu-Ping & Chan, Ya-hui & Sheu, Chwen, 2010. "Mediated effect of environmental management on manufacturing competitiveness: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 210-220, January.
- Vastag, Gyula & Whybark, D. Clay, 2003. "Is anybody listening? An investigation into popular advice and actual practices," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 115-128, January.
- Bai, Chunguang & Sarkis, Joseph, 2010. "Integrating sustainability into supplier selection with grey system and rough set methodologies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 252-264, March.
- Jayaram, Jayanth & Das, Ajay & Nicolae, Mariana, 2010. "Looking beyond the obvious: Unraveling the Toyota production system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 280-291, November.
- Vachon, Stephan & Klassen, Robert D., 2008. "Environmental management and manufacturing performance: The role of collaboration in the supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 299-315, February.
- Kumar, Sameer & Putnam, Valora, 2008. "Cradle to cradle: Reverse logistics strategies and opportunities across three industry sectors," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 305-315, October.
- Robert D. Klassen & Curtis P. McLaughlin, 1996. "The Impact of Environmental Management on Firm Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1199-1214, August.
- Ezutah Udoncy Olugu & Kuan Yew Wong & Awaludin Mohamed Shaharoun, 2010. "A Comprehensive Approach in Assessing the Performance of an Automobile Closed-Loop Supply Chain," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(4), pages 871-889, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:140:y:2012:i:1:p:116-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.