Explaining the competitive advantage of logistics service providers: A resource-based view approach
This article identifies strategic logistics resources acquired and bundled by logistics service providers (LSPs) to achieve competitive advantage. Based on a theoretical framework derived from the resource-based view (RBV) theory, contents of a database of company profiles of 15 selected LSPs are analysed. Results show that all LSPs have been acquiring physical, human, information, knowledge and relational resources and then bundling them together in various specific manners to create inimitable and firm-specific capabilities. However, only some of them performed well financially. The findings contribute to the conceptualisation and measurement of strategic logistics resources and the identification of resource bundling processes.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahn, Kenneth B. & Mentzer, John T., 1998. "Marketing's Integration with Other Departments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 53-62, May.
- Bienstock, Carol C. & Royne, Marla B. & Sherrell, Dan & Stafford, Thomas F., 2008. "An expanded model of logistics service quality: Incorporating logistics information technology," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 205-222, May.
- Photis M Panayides & Meko So, 2005. "The Impact of Integrated Logistics Relationships on Third-Party Logistics Service Quality and Performance," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(1), pages 36-55, March.
- Büyüközkan, Gülçin & Feyzioglu, Orhan & Nebol, Erdal, 2008. "Selection of the strategic alliance partner in logistics value chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 148-158, May.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Toy, Neal, 2000. "Identifying influential attributes in freight route/mode choice decisions: a content analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 41-53, March.
- Rubin, Paul H, 1973. "The Expansion of Firms," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 936-49, July-Aug..
- Pasukeviciute, Irma & Roe, Michael, 2005. "Strategic policy and the logistics of crude oil transit in Lithuania," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 857-866, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:128:y:2010:i:1:p:51-67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.