Integrating sustainability into supplier selection with grey system and rough set methodologies
Supplier selection plays an important role in the management of a supply chain. Recent emphasis on sustainability has made this selection more complex. Decision support tools and methodologies can help organizations and supply chain managers make more effective decisions. Many tools have been developed with a variety of formal modeling techniques. These techniques may be limited for a variety of reasons. To help advance this area of research and to help further integrate sustainability discussion into the supplier selection modeling area, we expand on a novel approach first introduced by (Li et al., 2008). This approach utilizes grey system and rough set theory. Our expansion and contribution includes introduction of additional levels of analysis and application of this methodology, the explicit consideration of sustainability attributes, and insights into the technique with some sensitivity analysis. Implications of the methodology and future research directions, further expanding the methodology and its applications, conclude the paper.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Handfield, Robert & Walton, Steven V. & Sroufe, Robert & Melnyk, Steven A., 2002. "Applying environmental criteria to supplier assessment: A study in the application of the Analytical Hierarchy Process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 70-87, August.
- Chen, Chen-Tung & Lin, Ching-Torng & Huang, Sue-Fn, 2006. "A fuzzy approach for supplier evaluation and selection in supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 289-301, August.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Lai, Kee-hung, 2008. "Confirmation of a measurement model for green supply chain management practices implementation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 261-273, February.
- Ciliberti, Francesco & Pontrandolfo, Pierpaolo & Scozzi, Barbara, 2008. "Logistics social responsibility: Standard adoption and practices in Italian companies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 88-106, May.
- Huang, Guo H. & Baetz, Brian W. & Patry, Gilles G., 1995. "Grey integer programming: An application to waste management planning under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 594-620, June.
- Huang, G. H. & Baetz, B. W. & Patry, G. G., 1995. "Grey fuzzy integer programming: An application to regional waste management planning under uncertainty," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 17-38, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:124:y:2010:i:1:p:252-264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.