Indian textile suppliers' sustainability evaluation using the grey approach
Textile supply chains consist of multinational garment retailers (customers), garment manufacturers (suppliers), and ancillary suppliers (suppliers to manufacturers). This paper evaluates suppliers' within the Indian textile and clothing industry (both garment manufacturers and ancillary suppliers) using sustainability criteria. Examining a sample of sixty-three suppliers and six sustainability criteria (i.e. discrimination, abuse of human right, child labor, long working hours, unfair competition, and pollution), we categorize suppliers into the three categories of ‘good performer’, moderate performer’, and ‘performance not up to expectation’. Since all the criteria are potentially subjective, we have employed the grey approach for analysis. The results indicate that the criterion of long working hours is a critical one for both categories of suppliers; in the case of garment manufacturers, we found that pollution and unfair competition were the most important criteria. In addition, employing child labor was found to be a critical criterion in the case of ancillary suppliers.
Volume (Year): 135 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weber, Charles A. & Desai, Anand, 1996. "Determination of paths to vendor market efficiency using parallel coordinates representation: A negotiation tool for buyers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 142-155, April.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 2001. "Extended DEA-Discriminant Analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 324-351, June.
- Yang, Taho & Kuo, Chunwei, 2003. "A hierarchical AHP/DEA methodology for the facilities layout design problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 128-136, May.
- R. E. Bellman & L. A. Zadeh, 1970. "Decision-Making in a Fuzzy Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(4), pages 141-164, December.
- Adam Lindgreen & Valérie Swaen & Timothy Campbell, 2009. "Corporate Social Responsibility Practices in Developing and Transitional Countries: Botswana and Malawi," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 429-440, December.
- Chen, Chen-Tung & Lin, Ching-Torng & Huang, Sue-Fn, 2006. "A fuzzy approach for supplier evaluation and selection in supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 289-301, August.
- Ittner, Christopher D. & Larcker, David F. & Nagar, Venkatesh & Rajan, Madhav V., 1999. "Supplier selection, monitoring practices, and firm performance," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 253-281, September.
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808, April.
- Rajagopalan, Nandini & Zhang, Yan, 2009. "Recurring failures in corporate governance: A global disease?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 545-552, November.
- Talluri, Srinivas & Narasimhan, Ram, 2004. "A methodology for strategic sourcing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(1), pages 236-250, April.
- Ven van de, B. & Graafland, J.J., 2006. "Strategic and moral motivation for corporate social responsibility," MPRA Paper 20278, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Swift, Cathy Owens, 1995. "Preferences for single sourcing and supplier selection criteria," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 105-111, February.
- Handfield, Robert & Walton, Steven V. & Sroufe, Robert & Melnyk, Steven A., 2002. "Applying environmental criteria to supplier assessment: A study in the application of the Analytical Hierarchy Process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 70-87, August.
- Peter Rodriguez & Donald S Siegel & Amy Hillman & Lorraine Eden, 2006.
"Three lenses on the multinational enterprise: politics, corruption, and corporate social responsibility,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 37(6), pages 733-746, November.
- Peter Rodriguez & Donald S. Siegel & Amy Hillman & Lorraine Eden, 2006. "Three Lenses on the Multinational Enterprise: Politics, Corruption and Corporate Social Responsibility," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0608, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Escobar, María Teresa & Moreno-Jiménez, José María, 2002. "A linkage between the Analytic Hierarchy Process and the Compromise Programming Models," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 359-365, October.
- Deng, Shengliang & Wortzel, Lawrence H., 1995. "Importer purchase behavior: Guidelines for Asian exporters," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 41-47, January.
- Joachim H. Spangenberg, 2004. "Reconciling sustainability and growth: criteria, indicators, policies," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 74-86.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Hong, Jae-Dong & Hayya, Jack C., 1992. "Just-In-Time purchasing: Single or multiple sourcing?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 175-181, May.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Yoram Wind & Thomas L. Saaty, 1980. "Marketing Applications of the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 641-658, July.
- Weber, Charles A. & Current, John R. & Desai, Anand, 1998. "Non-cooperative negotiation strategies for vendor selection," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 208-223, July.
- Carter, Craig R. & Kale, Rahul & Grimm, Curtis M., 2000. "Environmental purchasing and firm performance: an empirical investigation," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 219-228, September.
- Kolk, Ans & van Tulder, Rob, 2002. "The Effectiveness of Self-regulation:: Corporate Codes of Conduct and Child Labour," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 260-271, June.
- Chaudhry, Sohail S. & Forst, Frank G. & Zydiak, James L., 1993. "Vendor selection with price breaks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 52-66, October.
- Bai, Chunguang & Sarkis, Joseph, 2010. "Integrating sustainability into supplier selection with grey system and rough set methodologies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 252-264, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:135:y:2012:i:2:p:647-658. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.