Selecting green suppliers based on GSCM practices: Using fuzzy TOPSIS applied to a Brazilian electronics company
Due to an increased awareness and significant environmental pressures from various stakeholders, companies have begun to realize the significance of incorporating green practices into their daily activities. This paper proposes a framework using Fuzzy TOPSIS to select green suppliers for a Brazilian electronics company; our framework is built on the criteria of green supply chain management (GSCM) practices. An empirical analysis is made, and the data are collected from a set of 12 available suppliers. We use a fuzzy TOPSIS approach to rank the suppliers, and the results of the proposed framework are compared with the ranks obtained by both the geometric mean and the graded mean methods of fuzzy TOPSIS methodology. Then a Spearman rank correlation coefficient is used to find the statistical difference between the ranks obtained by the three methods. Finally, a sensitivity analysis has been performed to examine the influence of the preferences given by the decision makers for the chosen GSCM practices on the selection of green suppliers. Results indicate that the four dominant criteria are Commitment of senior management to GSCM; Product designs that reduce, reuse, recycle, or reclaim materials, components, or energy; Compliance with legal environmental requirements and auditing programs; and Product designs that avoid or reduce toxic or hazardous material use.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 233 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Ageron & A. Gunasekaran & A. Spalanzani, 2012. "Sustainable supply management : an empirical study," Post-Print halshs-00740499, HAL.
- R. E. Bellman & L. A. Zadeh, 1970. "Decision-Making in a Fuzzy Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(4), pages 141-164, December.
- Xiong, Yu & Zhou, Yu & Li, Gendao & Chan, Hing-Kai & Xiong, Zhongkai, 2013. "Don’t forget your supplier when remanufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 230(1), pages 15-25.
- Baskaran, Venkatesan & Nachiappan, Subramanian & Rahman, Shams, 2012. "Indian textile suppliers' sustainability evaluation using the grey approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 647-658.
- Handfield, Robert & Walton, Steven V. & Sroufe, Robert & Melnyk, Steven A., 2002. "Applying environmental criteria to supplier assessment: A study in the application of the Analytical Hierarchy Process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 70-87, August.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Zhu, Qinghua & Lai, Kee-hung, 2011. "An organizational theoretic review of green supply chain management literature," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Ageron, Blandine & Gunasekaran, Angappa & Spalanzani, Alain, 2012. "Sustainable supply management: An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 168-182.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Lai, Kee-hung, 2008. "Confirmation of a measurement model for green supply chain management practices implementation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 261-273, February.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing & Chou, Yi-Hwa & Hu, Chun-Chia, 2005. "An integrated logistics operational model for green-supply chain management," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 287-313, July.
- Raju, K. S & Kumar, D. N, 1999. "Multicriterion decision making in irrigation planning," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 117-129, November.
- Chen, Chen-Tung & Lin, Ching-Torng & Huang, Sue-Fn, 2006. "A fuzzy approach for supplier evaluation and selection in supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 289-301, August.
- Dekker, Rommert & Bloemhof, Jacqueline & Mallidis, Ioannis, 2012.
"Operations Research for green logistics – An overview of aspects, issues, contributions and challenges,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 219(3), pages 671-679.
- Dekker, R. & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J.M. & Mallidis, I., 2011. "Operations Research for Green Logistics – An Overview of Aspects, Issues, Contributions and Challenges," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI2011-30, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Chang, Yu-Hern & Yeh, Chung-Hsing, 2002. "A survey analysis of service quality for domestic airlines," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 166-177, May.
- Yang, Chung-Shan & Lu, Chin-Shan & Haider, Jane Jing & Marlow, Peter Bernard, 2013. "The effect of green supply chain management on green performance and firm competitiveness in the context of container shipping in Taiwan," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 55-73.
- Sarkis, Joseph, 1998. "Evaluating environmentally conscious business practices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 159-174, May.
- Chang, Yu-Hern & Yeh, Chung-Hsing & Wang, Shih-Yi, 2007. "A survey and optimization-based evaluation of development strategies for the air cargo industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 550-562, April.
- Gunasekaran, Angappa & Ngai, Eric W.T., 2012. "The future of operations management: An outlook and analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 687-701.
- Lai, Kee-hung & Wong, Christina W.Y., 2012. "Green logistics management and performance: Some empirical evidence from Chinese manufacturing exporters," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 267-282. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:233:y:2014:i:2:p:432-447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.