Lobbying against environmental regulation vs. lobbying for loopholes
We analyze the determinants of environmental policy when two firms engage in two types of lobbying against a restriction on allowed pollution: General lobbying increases the total amount of allowed pollution, which is beneficial for both firms. Private lobbying increases the individual pollution standard of the lobbying firm, but has a negative or zero effect on the allowed emissions of the competitor. We determine the lobbying equilibrium and discuss the resulting emission level. In many cases, a higher effectiveness of private lobbying is detrimental for firms and beneficial for environmental quality, as it induces firms to turn towards excessive amounts of relatively unproductive private lobbying.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Buehler & Armin Schmutzler & Men-Andri Benz, 2002.
"Infrastructure Quality in Deregulated Industries: Is there an Underinvestment Problem?,"
SOI - Working Papers
0209, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Buehler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin & Benz, Men-Andri, 2004. "Infrastructure quality in deregulated industries: is there an underinvestment problem?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-267, February.
- Benz, Men-Andri & Bühler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2003. "Infrastructure Quality in Deregulated Industries: Is there an Underinvestment Problem?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3836, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magee,Stephen P. & Brock,William A. & Young,Leslie, 1989.
"Black Hole Tariffs and Endogenous Policy Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521362474, December.
- Polk, Andreas & Schmutzler, Armin, 2005.
"Lobbying against environmental regulation vs. lobbying for loopholes,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 915-931, December.
- Andreas Polk & Armin Schmutzler, 2003. "Lobbying against Environmental Regulation vs. Lobbying for Loopholes," SOI - Working Papers 0301, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680.
- Andreas Polk, 2002. "Multilateral Agreement On Investments (MAI) - A Critical Assessment From an Industrial Economics Point of View," SOI - Working Papers 0201, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Feb 2002.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1986. "Tariffs, subsidies, and welfare with endogenous policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3-4), pages 285-299, November.
- Morten Bennedsen & Sven E. Feldmann, 2000.
"Informational Lobbying and Political Contributions,"
CIE Discussion Papers
2000-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Bennedsen, Morten & Feldmann, Sven E., 2006. "Informational lobbying and political contributions," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(4-5), pages 631-656, May.
- Bennedsen, Morten & Feldmann, Sven E., 2000. "Informational Lobbying And Political Contributions," Working Papers 08-2000, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Borek, Thomas & Bühler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2003. "Weddings with Uncertain Prospects - Mergers under Asymmetric Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 3839, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yves Schneider & Peter Zweifel, 2002.
"How Much Internalization of Nuclear Risk Through Liability Insurance?,"
SOI - Working Papers
0211, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Yves Schneider & Peter Zweifel, 2004. "How Much Internalization of Nuclear Risk Through Liability Insurance?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 219-240, December.
- Hahn, Robert W, 1990. "The Political Economy of Environmental Regulation: Towards a Unifying Framework," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 65(1), pages 21-47, April.
- Rainer Winkelmann, 2002. "Subjektive Daten in der empirischen Wirtschaftsforschung: Probleme und Perspektiven," SOI - Working Papers 0207, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2002.
- Thomas Borek & Stefan Buehler & Armin Schmutzler, 2002. "Weddings with Uncertain Prospects ï¿½ Mergers under Asymmetric Information," SOI - Working Papers 0213, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Feb 2004.
- Aidt, Toke Skovsgaard, 1997.
"Cooperative Lobbying and Endogenous Trade Policy,"
Springer, vol. 93(3-4), pages 455-475, December.
- Zava Aydemir & Stefan Buehler, 2002.
"Estimating Vertical Foreclosure in U.S. Gasoline Supply,"
SOI - Working Papers
0212, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- BŸhler, Stefan & Zava Aydemir, 2003. "Estimating Vertical Foreclosure in U.S. Gasoline Supply," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 33, Royal Economic Society.
- R. Damania, 1999. "Political Competition, Rent Seeking and the Choice of Environmental Policy Instruments," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 13(4), pages 415-433, June.
- Fredriksson, Per G., 1997. "The Political Economy of Pollution Taxes in a Small Open Economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 44-58, May.
- Athey, Susan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2001. "Investment and Market Dominance," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "Rationalizability, Learning, and Equilibrium in Games with Strategic Complementarities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1255-1277, November.
- Aidt, Toke S., 1998. "Political internalization of economic externalities and environmental policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 1-16, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:poleco:v:21:y:2005:i:4:p:915-931. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.