Optimal Insurance Contracts without the Non-Negativity Constraint on Indemnities Revisited
In the literature on optimal indemnity schedules, indemnities are usually restricted to be non-negative. Gollier (1987) shows that this constraint might well bind: insured could get higher expected utility if insurance contracts would allow payments from the insured to the insurer at some losses. However, due to the insurersï¿½ cost function Gollier supposes, the optimal insurance contract he derives underestimates the relevance of the non-negativity constraint on indemnities. This paper extends Gollierï¿½s findings by allowing for negative indemnity payments for a broader class of insurersï¿½ cost functions.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Geneva Risk and Insurance Review 31, 2006, pages 5-9|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Halbheer & Sarah Niggli & Armin Schmutzler, 2006.
"What Does it Take to Sell Environmental Policy? An Empirical Analysis of Referendum Data,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 33(4), pages 441-462, 04.
- Daniel Halbheer & Sarah Niggli & Armin Schmutzler, 2003. "What does it take to sell Environmental Policy? An empirical Analysis of Referendum Data," SOI - Working Papers 0304, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Apr 2005.
- Borek, Thomas & Bühler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2003. "Weddings with Uncertain Prospects - Mergers under Asymmetric Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 3839, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yves Schneider & Peter Zweifel, 2004. "How Much Internalization of Nuclear Risk Through Liability Insurance?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 219-240, December.
- Yves Schneider & Peter Zweifel, 2002. "How Much Internalization of Nuclear Risk Through Liability Insurance?," SOI - Working Papers 0211, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Christian Gollier & Harris Schlesinger, 1996. "Arrow's theorem on the optimality of deductibles: A stochastic dominance approach (*)," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 7(2), pages 359-363.
- Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1996. "Arrow's Theorem on the Optimality of Deductibles: A Stochastic Dominance Approach," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 7(2), pages 359-363, February.
- Rainer Winkelmann, 2002. "Subjektive Daten in der empirischen Wirtschaftsforschung: Probleme und Perspektiven," SOI - Working Papers 0207, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2002.
- Bühler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2003. "Who Integrates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4066, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Borek & Stefan Buehler & Armin Schmutzler, 2002. "Weddings with Uncertain Prospects ï¿½ Mergers under Asymmetric Information," SOI - Working Papers 0213, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Feb 2004.
- Zava Aydemir & Stefan Buehler, 2002. "Estimating Vertical Foreclosure in U.S. Gasoline Supply," SOI - Working Papers 0212, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- BŸhler, Stefan & Zava Aydemir, 2003. "Estimating Vertical Foreclosure in U.S. Gasoline Supply," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 33, Royal Economic Society.
- Gould, John P, 1969. "The Expected Utility Hypothesis and the Selection of Optimal Deductibles for a Given Insurance Policy," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(2), pages 143-151, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:soz:wpaper:0406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.