What determines the banking sector performance in globalized financial markets? The case of Turkey
This study attempts to give an insight into the trend in the performance of the Turkish banking sector by conducting a panel data fixed effects regression analysis. The results reveal that efficiency change is negatively related to the number of branches. We find a positive relationship between the loan ratio and the performance indices efficiency and efficiency change. Furthermore, bank capitalization is positively related to efficiency change. Interestingly however, return on equity is not statistically significant in explaining any of the efficiency measures. There is also no robust relationship between foreign ownership and efficiency. Finally, restructuring attempts in post-crises epoch robustly account for the improvement in efficiency scores in recent years.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 387 (2008)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ihsan Isik & M. Kabir Hassan, 2003. "Efficiency, Ownership and Market Structure, Corporate Control and Governance in the Turkish Banking Industry," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1363-1421.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Ali Gunes & Osman Furkan Abbasoglu, 2007.
"Concentration, Competition, Efficiency and Profitability of the Turkish Banking Sector in the Post-Crises Period,"
2007/20, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Abbasoğlu, Osman Furkan & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Gunes, Ali, 2007. "Concentration, Competition, Efficiency and Profitability of the Turkish Banking Sector in the Post-Crises Period," MPRA Paper 5494, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Isik, Ihsan & Kabir Hassan, M., 2003. "Financial deregulation and total factor productivity change: An empirical study of Turkish commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1455-1485, August.
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2003. "Financial disruption and bank productivity: The 1994 experience of Turkish banks," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 291-320.
- Ahmet Sengonul & Willem Thorbecke, 2005. "The effect of monetary policy on bank lending in Turkey," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(13), pages 931-934.
- Nazmi DEMIR & Syed F. MAHMUD & Senol BABUSCU, 2005. "The Technical Inefficiency Effects Of Turkish Banks After Financial Liberalization," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 43(3), pages 396-411, 09.
- Canan Yildirim, 2002. "Evolution of banking efficiency within an unstable macroeconomic environment: the case of Turkish commercial banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2289-2301.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition; An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," IMF Working Papers 02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002. "Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2850, The World Bank.
- H. Al & Ahmet Faruk Aysan, 2006. "Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey," Working Papers 2006/06, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Al, Huseyin, 2006. "Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 5481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E. Nur Ozkan-Gunay & Arzu Tektas, 2006. "Efficiency Analysis Of The Turkish Banking Sector In Precrisis And Crisis Period: A Dea Approach," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(3), pages 418-431, 07.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Ceyhan, Sanli Pinar, 2006. "Why Do Foreign Banks Invest In Turkey?," MPRA Paper 5491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & S. P. Ceyhan, 2006. "Why Do Foreign Banks Invest in Turkey?," Working Papers 2006/22, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Sanli Pinar Ceyhan, 2007. "Market Disciplining Role of Crises on The Restructuring of the Turkish Banking Sector," Working Papers 2007/18, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Ceyhan, Sanli Pinar, 2007. "Market Disciplining Role of Crisis on the Restructuring of the Turkish Banking Sector," MPRA Paper 5492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2002. "Technical, scale and allocative efficiencies of Turkish banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 719-766, April.
- Steinherr, Alfred & Tukel, Ali & Ucer, Murat, 2004. "The Turkish Banking Sector - Challenges And Outlook In Transition To Eu Membership," Economic and Financial Reports 2004/2, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Lerzan, Yildiz, 2006. "The Regulation of the Credit Card Market in Turkey," MPRA Paper 5490, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & L. Yildiz, 2006. "The Regulation of the Credit Card Market in Turkey," Working Papers 2006/21, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Alfred Steinherr & Ali Tukel & Murat Ucer, 2004. "The Turkish Banking Sector, Challenges and Outlook in Transition to EU Membership," Bruges European Economic Policy Briefings 9, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:387:y:2008:i:7:p:1593-1602. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.