Eurozone Debt Crisis and its Effects on Turkish Economy
The Eurozone debt crisis is an ongoing financial crisis that has made it difficult or impossible for some countries in the euro area to rollover their government debt without the help of third parties. The reasons for the Eurozone debt crisis can be summarized in three groups: (i) Errors on the structure of the Monetary Union, (ii) Macroeconomic instabilities among the monetary union, (iii) Problems on the financial system. In this paper, after discussing the origins of the crisis, we summarize the measures taken against the crisis and then describe the current stage of the crisis. Finally, we focus on the effects of the crisis on the Turkish economy. Turkey is affected by the crisis via three channels: trade, finance and expectations channel. We focus especially on the trade and finance channel for the scope of this paper. We show that these effects have remained rather limited for Turkey with the help of the strong macroeconomic and financial structure.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Ceyhan, Şanli Pinar, 2008.
"What determines the banking sector performance in globalized financial markets? The case of Turkey,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 387(7), pages 1593-1602.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Sanli Pinar Ceyhan, 2007. "What Determines the Banking Sector Performance in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey?," Working Papers 2007/21, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Ceyhan, Sanli Pinar, 2007. "What Determines the Banking Sector Performance in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey?," MPRA Paper 5495, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Al, Huseyin, 2006.
"Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey,"
5481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- H. Al & Ahmet Faruk Aysan, 2006. "Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey," Working Papers 2006/06, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- M R Anand & G L Gupta & Ranjan Dash, 2012. "The Euro Zone Crisis and its Dimensions and Implications," Working Papers id:4764, eSocialSciences.
- Jamal Ibrahim Haidar, 2012.
"Sovereign Credit Risk in the Eurozone,"
World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 13(1), pages 123-136, January.
- Akin, Guzin Gulsun & Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Yildiran, Levent, 2008. "Transformation of the Turkish Financial Sector in the Aftermath of the 2001 Crisis," MPRA Paper 17803, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lojsch, Dagmar Hartwig & Rodríguez-Vives, Marta & Slavík, Michal, 2011. "The size and composition of government debt in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 132, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50501. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.