Structural Change and the Efficiency of Banking In Turkey: Does Ownership Matter?
In a period of increasing foreign bank entry, the popular question of “what does foreign bank entry bring to the Turkish banking sector?” can partly be answered with respect to the productivity effects. This paper aims to find the productivity change in the banking sector between 1990 and 2007 just before the global crisis. We are especially interested in the period beginning with 2001 after which the Turkish banking system has almost been flooded with foreign banks. Using a sample of 20 commercial banks, we attempt to find the Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) type Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Change Index over the specified period. We also look at the source of this change decomposing this index into its mutually exclusive and exhaustive components of efficiency change and technological change. Additionally, we further decompose the technical efficiency change into pure technical efficiency change and scale efficiency change. The DEA results guide us in comparing the performances of banks of different ownership status (state, private and foreign banks) and of different size
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canan Yildirim, 2002. "Evolution of banking efficiency within an unstable macroeconomic environment: the case of Turkish commercial banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2289-2301.
- Isik, Ihsan & Kabir Hassan, M., 2003. "Financial deregulation and total factor productivity change: An empirical study of Turkish commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1455-1485, August.
- Ilko Naaborg & Bert Scholtens & Jakob de Haan & Hanneke Bol & Ralph de Haas, 2004.
"How Important are Foreign Banks in the Financial Development of European Transition Countries?,"
Journal of Emerging Market Finance,
Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 3(2), pages 99-123, August.
- Ilko Naaborg & Bert Scholtens & Jakob de Haan & Hanneke Bol & Ralph de Haas, 2003. "How Important are Foreign Banks in the Financial Development of European Transition Countries?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1100, CESifo Group Munich.
- Adrian E. Tschoegl, 2004. "Financial Crises and the Presence of Foreign Banks," International Finance 0405016, EconWPA.
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2002. "Technical, scale and allocative efficiencies of Turkish banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 719-766, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521453455 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17849. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.