The deterioration of bank balance sheets in Japan: Risk-taking and recapitalization
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Howard Lee & Liliana Rojas-Suárez & Steven Riess Weisbrod, 1992. "Bank Risk and the Declining Franchise Value of the Banking Systems in the United States and Japan," IMF Working Papers 92/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Ritchken, Peter & Thomson, James B. & DeGennaro, Ramon P. & Li, Anlong, 1993.
"On flexibility, capital structure and investment decisions for the insured bank,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1133-1146, December.
- Peter H. Ritchken & James B. Thomson & Ramon P. DeGennaro & Anlong Li, 1991. "On flexibility, capital structure, and investment decisions for the insured bank," Working Paper 9110, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Prowse, Stephen D., 1990. "Institutional investment patterns and corporate financial behavior in the United States and Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 43-66, September.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric, 1995.
"The Capital Crunch: Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 625-638, August.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1991. "The capital crunch: neither a borrower nor a lender be," Working Papers 91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Joe Peek & Eric Rosengren, 1993. "The Capital Crunch: Neither A Borrower Nor A Lender Be," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 243, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Cara S. Lown, 1991. "The Credit Crunch," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 205-248.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Tirole, Jean, 1992.
"Efficient Governance Structure : Implications for Banking Regulation,"
IDEI Working Papers
18, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "Efficient governance structure: implications for banking regulation," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9655, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The prudential regulation of banks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9539, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Kim, Daesik & Santomero, Anthony M, 1988. " Risk in Banking and Capital Regulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1219-1233, December.
- Wayne Passmore & Steven A. Sharpe, 1994. "Optimal bank portfolios and the credit crunch," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Furlong, Frederick T. & Keeley, Michael C., 1989. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 883-891, December.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1994.
"Do Risk-Based Capital Allocate Bank Credit and Cause a "Credit Crunch"' in the United States?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 585-628, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1994. "Did risk-based capital allocate bank credit and cause a "credit crunch" in the United States?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 585-633.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chakraborty, Suparna & Allen, Linda, 2007. "Revisiting the Level Playing Field: International Lending Responses to Divergences in Japanese Bank Capital Regulations from the Basel Accord," MPRA Paper 1805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Katsutoshi Shimizu, 2009. "The Behavior of Japanese banks in the 1990s and Government Intervention for the Financial crisis," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 5(2), pages 229-254, November.
- de Jong, Abe & Roosenboom, Peter & Schramade, Willem, 2006. "Bond underwriting fees and keiretsu affiliation in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 522-545, November.
- Hanazaki, Masaharu & Horiuchi, Akiyoshi, 2003. "A review of Japan's bank crisis from the governance perspective," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-325, July.
- Weber, Martin & Kleff, Volker, 2003. "How Do Banks Determine Capital? Empirical Evidence for Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-66, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Montgomery, Heather, 2005. "The effect of the Basel Accord on bank portfolios in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 24-36, March.
- Iwatsubo, Kentaro, 2007.
"Bank capital shocks and portfolio risk: Evidence from Japan,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 166-186, March.
- Iwatsubo, Kentaro, 2005. "Bank Capital Shocks and Portfolio Risk: Evidence from Japan," CEI Working Paper Series 2004-24, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Shimizu, Katsutoshi, 2006. "How can we effectively resolve the financial crisis: Empirical evidence on the bank rehabilitation plan of the Japanese government," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 119-134, April.
- Maximilian Hall, 2000. "What is the Truth About the Scale of Japanese Banks' Bad Debts? Is the Situation Manageable?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 17(1), pages 69-91, February.
- Kenshi Taketa & Gregory F. Udell, 2007. "Lending Channels and Financial Shocks: The Case of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise Trade Credit and the Japanese Banking Crisis," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 25(2), pages 1-44, November.
- repec:eee:ecofin:v:43:y:2018:i:c:p:118-128 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kim, Kenneth A. & Lee, Sang-Hyop & Rhee, S. Ghon, 2007. "Large shareholder monitoring and regulation: The Japanese banking experience," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 466-486.
- repec:wsi:serxxx:v:62:y:2017:i:04:n:s021759081740029x is not listed on IDEAS
- de Jong, A. & Roosenboom, P.G.J. & Schramade, W.L.J., 2005. "Bond underwriting fees and keiretsu affiliation in Japan," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-038-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Haq, Mamiza & Faff, Robert & Seth, Rama & Mohanty, Sunil, 2014. "Disciplinary tools and bank risk exposure," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 37-64.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pacfin:v:6:y:1998:i:1-2:p:1-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/pacfin .