On the existence of undominated elements of acyclic relations
We study the existence of undominated elements of acyclic relations. A sufficient condition for the existence is given without any topological assumptions when the dominance relation is finite valued. The condition says that there is a point such that all dominance sequences starting from this point are reducible. A dominance sequence is reducible, if it is possible to remove some elements from it so that the resulting subsequence is still a dominance sequence. Necessary and sufficient conditions are formulated for closed acyclic relations on compact Hausdorff spaces. Reducibility is the key concept also in this case. A representation theorem for such relations is given.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J.C. R. Alcantud, 2002. "Characterization of the existence of maximal elements of acyclic relations," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 19(2), pages 407-416.
- Peris, Josep E. & Subiza, Begona, 1994.
"Maximal elements of not necessarily acyclic binary relations,"
Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 385-388, April.
- Josep Enric Peris Ferrando & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 1992. "Maximal elements of non necessarily acyclic binary relations," Working Papers. Serie AD 1992-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Peleg, Bezalel, 1970. "Utility Functions for Partially Ordered Topological Spaces," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(1), pages 93-96, January.
- Campbell, Donald E. & Walker, Mark, 1990. "Maximal elements of weakly continuous relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 459-464, April.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., 1975. "Maximal elements of acyclic relations on compact sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 403-404, June.
- Peris, Josep E. & Subiza, Begona, 1995. "A weak utility function for acyclic preferences," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 21-24, April.
- Walker, Mark, 1977. "On the existence of maximal elements," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 470-474, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:60:y:2010:i:3:p:217-221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.