On the existence of undominated elements of acyclic relations
We study the existence of undominated elements of acyclic relations. A sufficient condition for the existence is given without any topological assumptions when the dominance relation is finite valued. The condition says that there is a point such that all dominance sequences starting from this point are reducible. A dominance sequence is reducible, if it is possible to remove some elements from it so that the resulting subsequence is still a dominance sequence. Necessary and sufficient conditions are formulated for closed acyclic relations on compact Hausdorff spaces. Reducibility is the key concept also in this case. A representation theorem for such relations is given.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., 1975. "Maximal elements of acyclic relations on compact sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 403-404, June.
- J.C. R. Alcantud, 2002. "Characterization of the existence of maximal elements of acyclic relations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 407-416.
- Campbell, Donald E. & Walker, Mark, 1990. "Maximal elements of weakly continuous relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 459-464, April.
- Peleg, Bezalel, 1970. "Utility Functions for Partially Ordered Topological Spaces," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(1), pages 93-96, January.
- Peris, Josep E. & Subiza, Begona, 1995. "A weak utility function for acyclic preferences," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 21-24, April.
- Josep Enric Peris Ferrando & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 1992.
"Maximal elements of non necessarily acyclic binary relations,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1992-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Peris, Josep E. & Subiza, Begona, 1994. "Maximal elements of not necessarily acyclic binary relations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 385-388, April.
- Walker, Mark, 1977. "On the existence of maximal elements," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 470-474, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:60:y:2010:i:3:p:217-221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.