A KKM-result and an application for binary and non-binary choice functions
By generalizing the classical Knaster-Kuratowski-Mazurkiewicz Theorem, we obtain a result that provides sufficient conditions to ensure the non-emptiness of several kinds of choice functions. This result generalizes well-known results on the existence of maximal elements for binary relations (Bergstrom ; Walker ; Tian ), on the non-emptiness of non-binary choice functions (Nehring ; Llinares and Sánchez ) and on the non-emptiness of some classical solutions for tournaments (top cycle and uncovered set) on non-finite sets. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus Nehring, 1997. "Rational choice and revealed preference without binariness," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 14(3), pages 403-425.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., 1975. "Maximal elements of acyclic relations on compact sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 403-404, June.
- Guoqiang Tian, 1993. "Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Maximization of a Class of Preference Relations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(4), pages 949-958.
- Moulin, Herve, 1994. "Social choice," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 31, pages 1091-1125 Elsevier.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974.
"Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences,"
94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975. "Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Kim, Taesung & Richter, Marcel K., 1986. "Nontransitive-nontotal consumer theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 324-363, April.
- Nehring, Klaus, 1996. "Maximal elements of non-binary choice functions on compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 337-340, March.
- Llinares, Juan-Vicente, 1998.
"Unified treatment of the problem of existence of maximal elements in binary relations: a characterization,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 285-302, April.
- Juan Vicente Llinares Císcar, 1995. "Unified Treatment Of The Problem Of Existence Of Maximal Elements In Binary Relations. A Characterization," Working Papers. Serie AD 1995-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Tian, Guoqiang & Zhou, Jianxin, 1992. "Transfer Method for Characterizing the Existence of Maximal Elements of Binary Relations on Compact or Noncompact Sets," MPRA Paper 41227, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Llinares, Juan-Vicente & Sanchez, M. Carmen, 1999. "Non-binary choice functions on non-compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 29-32, April.
- Walker, Mark, 1977. "On the existence of maximal elements," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 470-474, December.
- Campbell, Donald E. & Walker, Mark, 1990. "Maximal elements of weakly continuous relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 459-464, April.
- Ben-El-Mechaiekh, H. & Chebbi, S. & Florenzano, M. & Llinares, J.-V., 1997. "Abstract Convexity and Fixed Points," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 97.87, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:21:y:2003:i:1:p:185-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.