Maximizing an interval order on compact subsets of its domain
Maximal elements of a binary relation on compact subsets of a metric space define a choice function. An infinite extension of transitivity is necessary and sufficient for such a choice function to be nonempty-valued and path independent (or satisfy the outcast axiom). An infinite extension of acyclicity is necessary and sufficient for the choice function to have nonempty values provided the underlying relation is an interval order.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kukushkin, Nikolai S., 1999. "Potential games: a purely ordinal approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 279-283, September.
- Mukherji, Anjan, 1977. "The Existence of Choice Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 889-894, May.
- Alcantud, Jose C.R., 2006.
"Maximality with or without binariness: Transfer-type characterizations,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 182-191, March.
- J C R Alcantud, 2004. "Maximality with or without binariness: transfer-type characterizations," Microeconomics 0402015, EconWPA.
- Campbell, Donald E. & Walker, Mark, 1990. "Maximal elements of weakly continuous relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 459-464, April.
- Kukushkin, Nikolai S., 2006. "On the choice of most-preferred alternatives," MPRA Paper 803, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Walker, Mark, 1977. "On the existence of maximal elements," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 470-474, December.
- Nehring, Klaus, 1996. "Maximal elements of non-binary choice functions on compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 337-340, March.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., 1975. "Maximal elements of acyclic relations on compact sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 403-404, June.
- Nikolai S Kukushkin, 2005. "On the existence of maximal elements: An impossibility theorem," Game Theory and Information 0509004, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:56:y:2008:i:2:p:195-206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.