Maximality with or without binariness: Transfer-type characterizations
We provide the first necessary and su±cient conditions in the literature for the existence of maximal elements in a non-binary choice framework. As an application, the characterization of the existence of maximal elements for acyclic binary relations obtained in Rodriguez-Palmero and Garcia-Lapresta, 2002, Mathematical Social Sciences 43, 55-60, is deduced as a Corollary. Further characterizations in di®erent settings given by Tian and Zhou, 1995, Journal of Mathematical Economics 24, 281- 303, follow as well. Analogous characterization problems in the k- acyclic binary cases are solved too.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J.C. R. Alcantud, 2002. "Characterization of the existence of maximal elements of acyclic relations," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 19(2), pages 407-416.
- Klaus Nehring, 1997. "Rational choice and revealed preference without binariness," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 14(3), pages 403-425.
- Rodriguez-Palmero, Carlos & Garcia-Lapresta, Jose-Luis, 2002. "Maximal elements for irreflexive binary relations on compact sets," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 55-60, January.
- J. C. R. Alcantud & Carlos Alós-Ferrer, 2002. "Choice-Nash Equilibria," Vienna Economics Papers 0209, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974.
"Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences,"
94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975. "Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Llinares, Juan-Vicente & Sanchez, M. Carmen, 1999. "Non-binary choice functions on non-compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 29-32, April.
- Tian, Guoqiang & Zhou, Jianxin, 1995. "Transfer continuities, generalizations of the Weierstrass and maximum theorems: A full characterization," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 281-303.
- Alcantud, J. C. R., 2002. "Non-binary choice in a non-deterministic model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 117-123, September.
- Peters, Hans & Wakker, Peter, 1991. "Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives and Revealed Group Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1787-1801, November.
- Nehring, Klaus, 1996. "Maximal elements of non-binary choice functions on compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 337-340, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:51:y:2006:i:2:p:182-191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.