Maximality with or without binariness: Transfer-type characterizations
We provide the first necessary and su±cient conditions in the literature for the existence of maximal elements in a non-binary choice framework. As an application, the characterization of the existence of maximal elements for acyclic binary relations obtained in Rodriguez-Palmero and Garcia-Lapresta, 2002, Mathematical Social Sciences 43, 55-60, is deduced as a Corollary. Further characterizations in di®erent settings given by Tian and Zhou, 1995, Journal of Mathematical Economics 24, 281- 303, follow as well. Analogous characterization problems in the k- acyclic binary cases are solved too.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus Nehring, 1997. "Rational choice and revealed preference without binariness," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 14(3), pages 403-425.
- Llinares, Juan-Vicente & Sanchez, M. Carmen, 1999. "Non-binary choice functions on non-compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 29-32, April.
- Alcantud, J. C. R., 2002. "Non-binary choice in a non-deterministic model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 117-123, September.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975.
"Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974. "Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences," Discussion Papers 94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Nehring, Klaus, 1996. "Maximal elements of non-binary choice functions on compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 337-340, March.
- J.C. R. Alcantud, 2002. "Characterization of the existence of maximal elements of acyclic relations," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 19(2), pages 407-416.
- J. C. R. Alcantud & Carlos Alós-Ferrer, 2002. "Choice-Nash Equilibria," Vienna Economics Papers 0209, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Rodriguez-Palmero, Carlos & Garcia-Lapresta, Jose-Luis, 2002. "Maximal elements for irreflexive binary relations on compact sets," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 55-60, January.
- Peters, Hans & Wakker, Peter, 1991. "Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives and Revealed Group Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1787-1801, November.
- Tian, Guoqiang & Zhou, Jianxin, 1995. "Transfer continuities, generalizations of the Weierstrass and maximum theorems: A full characterization," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 281-303.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:51:y:2006:i:2:p:182-191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.