General solutions for choice sets: The Generalized Optimal-Choice Axiom set
In this paper we characterize the existence of best choices of arbitrary binary relations over non finite sets of alternatives, according to the Generalized Optimal-Choice Axiom condition introduced by Schwartz. We focus not just in the best choices of a single set X, but rather in the best choices of all the members of a family K of subsets of X. Finally we generalize earlier known results concerning the existence (or the characterization) of maximal elements of binary relations on compact subsets of a given space of alternatives.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yannelis, Nicholas C. & Prabhakar, N. D., 1983. "Existence of maximal elements and equilibria in linear topological spaces," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 233-245, December.
- Bossert, Walter & Sprumont, Yves & Suzumura, Kotaro, 2002.
"Upper semicontinuous extensions of binary relations,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 231-246, May.
- Walter Bossert & Yves Sprumont & Kotaro Suzumura, 2002. "Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations," Discussion Paper Series a423, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- BOSSERT, Walter & SPRUMONT, Yves & SUZUMURA, Kotaro, 2002. "Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations," Cahiers de recherche 2002-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975. "Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974. "Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences," Discussion Papers 94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Duggan, John, 1999. "A General Extension Theorem for Binary Relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Yannelis, Nicholas C., 1985. "Maximal elements over non-compact subsets of linear topological spaces," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 133-136.
- J.C. R. Alcantud, 2002. "Characterization of the existence of maximal elements of acyclic relations," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 19(2), pages 407-416.
- Peris, Josep E. & Subiza, Begona, 1994. "Maximal elements of not necessarily acyclic binary relations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 385-388, April.
- Josep Enric Peris Ferrando & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 1992. "Maximal elements of non necessarily acyclic binary relations," Working Papers. Serie AD 1992-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Subiza, Begona & Peris, Josep E., 1997. "Numerical representation for lower quasi-continuous preferences," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 149-156, April.
- Josep Enric Peris Ferrando & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 1996. "Numerical representation for lower quasi-continuous preferences," Working Papers. Serie AD 1996-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Borglin, Anders & Keiding, Hans, 1976. "Existence of equilibrium actions and of equilibrium : A note on the `new' existence theorems," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 313-316, December.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., 1975. "Maximal elements of acyclic relations on compact sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 403-404, June.
- Suzumura, Kataro, 1976. "Remarks on the Theory of Collective Choice," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(172), pages 381-390, November.
- Donald J. Brown, 1973. "Acyclic Choice," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 360, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11645. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.