Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations
Suzumura shows that a binary relation has a weak order extension if and only if it is consistent. However, consistency is demonstrably not sufficient to extend an upper semi-continuous binary relation to an upper semicontinuous weak order. Jaffray proves that any asymmetric (or reflexive), transitive and upper semicontinuous binary relation has an upper semicontinuous strict (or weak) order extension. We provide sufficient conditions for existence of upper semicontinuous extensions of consistence rather than transitive relations. For asymmetric relations, consistency and upper semicontinuity suffice. For more general relations, we prove one theorem using a further consistency property and another with an additional continuity requirement.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, H3C 3J7|
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amartya Sen, 1969. "Quasi-Transitivity, Rational Choice and Collective Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 381-393.
- Jaffray, Jean-Yves, 1975. "Semicontinuous extension of a partial order," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 395-406, December.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1998. "A Quasiordering Is the Intersection of Orderings," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 382-387, February.
- Kotaro Suzumura & Yongsheng Xu, 2003. "Recoverability of choice functions and binary relations: some duality results," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 21(1), pages 21-37, 08.
- Duggan, John, 1999. "A General Extension Theorem for Binary Relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Suzumura, Kataro, 1976. "Remarks on the Theory of Collective Choice," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(172), pages 381-390, November.