Existence of closed and complete extensions applied to convex, homothetic an monotonic orderings
Many theories of consumer demand impose specific properties on the preference relations, e.g. convexity, monotonicity or homotheticity. Existing nonparametric tests which allow us to single out the preference relations that do not satisfy these properties are only valid in very specific contexts. This paper is an attempt to address this lacuna in the literature. We provide a theorem on the existence of complete binary extensions that satisfy properties which are closed under intersection. From this theorem we derive necessary and su_cient conditions for the existence of convex, homothetic and monotonic orderings on general domains.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoveniersberg 4, B-9000 Gent|
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suzumura, Kataro, 1976. "Remarks on the Theory of Collective Choice," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(172), pages 381-390, November.
- BOSSERT, Walter & SPRUMONT, Yves & SUZUMURA, Kotaro, 2002.
"Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations,"
Cahiers de recherche
2002-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bossert, Walter & Sprumont, Yves & Suzumura, Kotaro, 2002. "Upper semicontinuous extensions of binary relations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 231-246, May.
- Walter Bossert & Yves Sprumont & Kotaro Suzumura, 2002. "Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations," Discussion Paper Series a423, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Walter Bossert & Yves Sprumont, 2002.
"Core rationalizability in two-agent exchange economies,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 20(4), pages 777-791.
- Bossert, W. & Sprumont, Y., 2000. "Core Retionalizability in Two-Agent Exchange Economies," Cahiers de recherche 2000-09, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bossert, Walter & Sprumont, Yves, 2000. "Core Rationalizability in Two-Agent Exchange Economies," Working Papers 2000-07, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- BOSSERT, Walter & SPRUMONT, Yves, 2000. "Core Retionalizability in Two-Agent Exchange Economies," Cahiers de recherche 2000-09, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Herden, Gerhard & Pallack, Andreas, 2002. "On the continuous analogue of the Szpilrajn Theorem I," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 115-134, March.
- Richter, Marcel K. & Wong, K.-C.Kam-Chau, 2004. "Concave utility on finite sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 341-357, April.
- Bossert, W. & Sprumont, Y., 2001.
Cahiers de recherche
2001-01, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1998. "A Quasiordering Is the Intersection of Orderings," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 382-387, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:06/407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.