Upper Semicontinuous Extensions of Binary Relations
Suzumura shows that a binary relation has a weak order extension if and only if it is consistent. However, consistency is demonstrably not sufficient to extend an upper semi-continuous binary relation to an upper semicontinuous weak order. Jaffray proves that any asymmetric (or reflexive), transitive and upper semicontinuous binary relation has an upper semicontinuous strict (or weak) order extension. We provide sufficient conditions for existence of upper semicontinuous extensions of consistence rather than transitive relations. For asymmetric relations, consistency and upper semicontinuity suffice. For more general relations, we prove one theorem using a further consistency property and another with an additional continuity requirement.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1998. "A Quasiordering Is the Intersection of Orderings," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 382-387, February.
- Amartya Sen, 1969. "Quasi-Transitivity, Rational Choice and Collective Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 381-393.
- Jaffray, Jean-Yves, 1975. "Semicontinuous extension of a partial order," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 395-406, December.
- Suzumura, Kataro, 1976. "Remarks on the Theory of Collective Choice," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(172), pages 381-90, November.
- Duggan, John, 1999. "A General Extension Theorem for Binary Relations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Kotaro Suzumura & Yongsheng Xu, 2003. "Recoverability of choice functions and binary relations: some duality results," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 21-37, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hituec:a423. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.