Upper semicontinuous representations of interval orders
Given an interval order on a topological space, we characterize its representability by means of a pair of upper semicontinuous real-valued functions. This characterization is only based on separability and continuity conditions related to both the interval order and one of its two traces. As a corollary, we obtain the classical Rader’s theorem concerning the existence of an upper semicontinuous representation for an upper semicontinuous total preorder on a second countable topological space.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bosi, Gianni & Isler, Romano, 1995. "Representing preferences with nontransitive indifference by a single real-valued function," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 621-631.
- Chateauneuf, Alain, 1987. "Continuous representation of a preference relation on a connected topological space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 139-146, April.
- Subiza, Begona & Peris, Josep E., 1997.
"Numerical representation for lower quasi-continuous preferences,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 149-156, April.
- Josep Enric Peris Ferrando & Begoña Subiza Martínez, 1996. "Numerical representation for lower quasi-continuous preferences," Working Papers. Serie AD 1996-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alcantud, J. C. R. & Rodriguez-Palmero, C., 1999. "Characterization of the existence of semicontinuous weak utilities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 503-509, December.
- Herden, Gerhard & Levin, Vladimir L., 2012. "Utility representation theorems for Debreu separable preorders," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 148-154.
- Ghanshyam B. Mehta, 1997. "A remark on a utility representation theorem of Rader (*)," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 9(2), pages 367-370.
- Peleg, Bezalel, 1970. "Utility Functions for Partially Ordered Topological Spaces," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(1), pages 93-96, January.
- J.C. R. Alcantud, 2002. "Characterization of the existence of maximal elements of acyclic relations," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 19(2), pages 407-416.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & Bosi, Gianni & Zuanon, Magalì, 2009. "A selection of maximal elements under non-transitive indifferences," MPRA Paper 16601, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bridges, Douglas S., 1986. "Numerical representation of interval orders on a topological space," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 160-166, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:68:y:2014:i:c:p:60-63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.