Relocation and public ownership of firms
This paper studies how the structure of markets in advanced countries is affected by the relocation of domestic firms to countries where wage costs are lower. We consider that private firms compete in the product market with firms partly owned by the government (semipublic firms). Assuming a mixed duopoly, we obtain the counterintuitive result that, for a certain range of values of the parameters of the model, in equilibrium, only the semipublic firm relocates. Moreover, if only one firm changes its location, social welfare is greater if it is the semipublic firm that relocates. J. Japanese Int. Economies 23 (1) (2009) 71-85.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 23 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622903|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mezzetti, Claudio & Dinopoulos, Elias, 1991.
"Domestic unionization and import competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 79-100, August.
- Fumagalli, Chiara, 2003. "On the welfare effects of competition for foreign direct investments," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 963-983, December.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2003.
"The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3775, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 2003. "The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives," EIJS Working Paper Series 168, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 2003. "The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives," NBER Working Papers 9489, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521464673 is not listed on IDEAS
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1990. " Game Theoretic Models of Mixed Oligopoly," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 1-17.
- Juan Carlos Bárcena-Ruiz & María Begoña Garzón, 2003.
"Mixed Duopoly, Merger and Multiproduct Firms,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 80(1), pages 27-42, 08.
- Leahy, D. & Montagna, C., 1999.
"Unionisation and Foreign Direct Investment: Challenging Conventional Wisdom?,"
99/15, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 2000. "Unionisation and Foreign Direct Investment: Challenging Conventional Wisdom?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C80-92, March.
- Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 1999. "Unionisation and Foreign Direct Investment: Challenging Conventional Wisdom?," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 097, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-11, April.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Meland, Frode & Sørgard, Lars, 2001.
"Unionized Oligopoly, Trade Liberalization and Location Choice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Frode Meland & Lars S¯rgard, 2003. "Unionised Oligopoly, Trade Liberalisation and Location Choice," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 782-800, October.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Frode Meland & Lars Sørgard, 2002. "Unionized Oligopoly, Trade Liberalization and Location Choice," CESifo Working Paper Series 777, CESifo Group Munich.
- Giacomo CORNEO & Oliver JEANNE, 1994. "Oligopole mixte dans un marché commun," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 33, pages 73-90.
- Juan Carlos Bárcena-Ruiz & María Begoña Garzón, 2005.
"International Trade and Strategic Privatization,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 502-513, November.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- White, Mark D., 1996. "Mixed oligopoly, privatization and subsidization," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 189-195, November.
- Ulph, Alistair, 1996. "Environmental Policy and International Trade when Governments and Producers Act Strategically," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 265-281, May.
- Willner, Johan, 2001. "Ownership, efficiency, and political interference," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 723-748, November.
- Barcena-Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Begona Garzon, Maria, 2005. "Economic integration and privatisation under diseconomies of scale," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 247-267, March.
- Juan Bárcena-ruiz & María Garzón, 2003. "Strategic Environmental Standards, Wage Incomes and the Location of Polluting Firms," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 24(2), pages 121-139, February.
- Kenneth Fjell & Debashis Pal, 1996. "A Mixed Oligopoly in the Presence of Foreign Private Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 737-43, August.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1988. "Unionized oligopoly and international trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 217-234, May.
- Ha-Joon Chang, 2007. "State-Owned Enterprise Reform," Policy Notes 4, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Naylor, Robin, 1998. "International trade and economic integration when labour markets are generally unionised," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1251-1267, July.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1998. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 473-483, December.
- Bughin, Jacques & Vannini, Stefano, 1995. "Strategic direct investment under unionized oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 127-145, March.
- Debashis Pal & Mark D. White, 1998. "Mixed Oligopoly, Privatization, and Strategic Trade Policy," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 264-281, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jjieco:v:23:y:2009:i:1:p:71-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.