Canaries and vultures: A quantitative history of monetary mismanagement in Brazil
During the last two decades of the twentieth century, Brazil went through a sequence of failed stabilization plans that tried to cope with an enduring hyperinflation. This paper uses a money demand model to evaluate monetary policies during those episodes. Consistency between money supply and expected conditional money demand growth rates is considered for each plan. It is shown that unsuccessful programs were marked by excessive liquidity. The results not only suggest that monetary mismanagement led to the failure of the plans, but also that the excessive liquidity could have been predicted.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James G. MacKinnon, 1990.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests,"
1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "EGTEST: RATS procedure to compute Engle-Granger test for Cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTS00061, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Lumsdaine, Robin L & Stock, James H, 1992.
"Recursive and Sequential Tests of the Unit-Root and Trend-Break Hypotheses: Theory and International Evidence,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 271-287, July.
- Anindya Banerjee & Robin L. Lumsdaine & James H. Stock, 1990. "Recursive and Sequential Tests of the Unit Root and Trend Break Hypothesis: Theory and International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 3510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedro H. Albuquerque, 2005.
"BAD Taxation: Disintermediation and Illiquidity in a Bank Account Debits Tax Model,"
0511019, EconWPA, revised 27 Nov 2005.
- Pedro Albuquerque, 2006. "BAD taxation: Disintermediation and illiquidity in a bank account debits tax model," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 13(5), pages 601-624, September.
- Pedro Albuquerque, 2006. "BAD Taxation: Disintermediation and Illiquidity in a Bank Account Debits Tax Model," Post-Print halshs-00745610, HAL.
- Amann, Edmund & Baer, Werner, 2003. "Anchors Away: The Cost and Benefits of Brazil's Devaluation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1033-1046, June.
- Pereira, Luiz Bresser, 1987. "Inertial inflation and the Cruzado plan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 1035-1044, August.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Schwert, G William, 1989.
"Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 147-159, April.
- Cardoso, Eliana A & Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1987.
"Brazil's Tropical Plan,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 288-292, May.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999.
"The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective," Economics Working Papers 356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1997. "Brazil's Incomplete Stabilization and Reform," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1), pages 367-404.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor & Mark P. Taylor, 1991.
"Testing for Credibility Effects,"
IMF Working Papers
91/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Garcia, Marcio G. P., 1996.
"Avoiding some costs of inflation and crawling toward hyperinflation: The case of the Brazilian domestic currency substitute,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 139-159, October.
- Marcio Goes Pinto Garcia, 1994. "Avoiding some costs of inflation and crawling toward hyperinflation: the case of the Brazilian domestic currency substitute," Textos para discussão 326, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Barbosa, Fernando de Holanda & Brandão, Antônio Salazar Pessôa & Faro, Clovis de, 1988. "O reino mágico do choque heterodoxo," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 125, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Merette, Marcel, 2000. "Post-Mortem of a Stabilization Plan: The Collor Plan in Brazil," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 417-452, July.
- Tanner, Evan, 1994. "Balancing the budget with implicit domestic default: The case of Brazil in the 1980s," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 85-98, January.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-472, August.
- Vito Tanzi, 1977. "Inflation, Lags in Collection, and the Real Value of Tax Revenue (L'inflation, les retards de recouvrement et la valeur rÃ©elle des recettes fiscales) (InflaciÃ³n, desfases en la recaudaciÃ³n y valor ," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 154-167, March.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-328, August.
- Frederic S Mishkin & Miguel A Savastano, 2002. "Monetary Policy Strategies For Emerging Market Countries: Lessons From Latin America," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 44(2-3), pages 45-82, September.
- Silva, Maria Luiza Falcão & de Andrade, Joaquim Pionto, 1996. "Brazil's new currency: origin, development and perspectives of the Real," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 50(4), October.
- Mishkin, Frederic S. & Savastano, Miguel A., 2001.
"Monetary policy strategies for Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2685, The World Bank.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Alvaro A. Zini Jr., 1996. "Brazilian Inflation and the Plano Real," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 13-37, 01.
- Welch, John H. & Braga, Carlos Alberto Primo & de Tarso, Paulo & de Andre, Afonso, 1987. "Brazilian public sector disequilibrium," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 1045-1052, August.
- Joel Bogdanski & Alexandre Antonio Tombini & Sérgio Ribeiro da Costa Werlang, 2000. "Implementing Inflation Targeting in Brazil," Working Papers Series 1, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Cardoso, Eliana A., 1991. "Deficit finance and monetary dynamics in Brazil and Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 173-197, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Miquel Faig, 1989. "Seasonal Fluctuations and the Demand for Money," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 847-861.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:28:y:2009:i:3:p:479-495. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.