Hospital readmission rates: Signal of failure or success?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1981. "The demand for deductibles in private health insurance : A probit model with sample selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-252, November.
- Mark McClellan & Douglas Staiger, 2000. "Comparing the Quality of Health Care Providers," NBER Chapters, in: Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 3, pages 113-136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ho, Vivian & Hamilton, Barton H., 2000. "Hospital mergers and acquisitions: does market consolidation harm patients?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 767-791, September.
- Evans, William N. & Garthwaite, Craig & Wei, Heng, 2008. "The impact of early discharge laws on the health of newborns," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 843-870, July.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Hamilton, Barton H & Bramley-Harker, Robert Edward, 1999. "The Impact of the NHS Reforms on Queues and Surgical Outcomes in England: Evidence from Hip Fracture Patients," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(457), pages 437-462, July.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam & Town, Robert J., 1999. "Estimating the quality of care in hospitals using instrumental variables," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 747-767, December.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Nychka, Douglas W, 1987. "Semi-nonparametric Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 363-390, March.
- John Geweke & Gautam Gowrisankaran & Robert J. Town, 2003.
"Bayesian Inference for Hospital Quality in a Selection Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1215-1238, July.
- John Geweke & Gautam Gowrisankaran & Robert J. Town, 2001. "Bayesian Inference for Hospital Quality in a Selection Model," NBER Working Papers 8497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John F. Geweke & Gautam Gowrisankaran & Robert J. Town, 2002. "Bayesian inference for hospital quality in a selection model," Working Paper Series 2002-18, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, revised 2002.
- Coyte, Peter C. & Young, Wendy & Croxford, Ruth, 2000. "Costs and outcomes associated with alternative discharge strategies following joint replacement surgery: analysis of an observational study using a propensity score," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 907-929, November.
- Evans, William N. & Kim, Beomsoo, 2006. "Patient outcomes when hospitals experience a surge in admissions," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 365-388, March.
- Westert, Gert P. & Lagoe, Ronald J. & Keskimaki, Ilmo & Leyland, Alastair & Murphy, Mark, 2002. "An international study of hospital readmissions and related utilization in Europe and the USA," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 269-278, September.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Sam Watson’s journal round-up for 21st August 2017
by Sam Watson in The Academic Health Economists' Blog on 2017-08-21 16:00:35
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nan Jiang & Gail Pacheco, 2014.
"Demand in New Zealand hospitals: expect the unexpected?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(36), pages 4475-4489, December.
- Nan Jiang & Gail Pacheco, 2014. "Demand in New Zealand Hospitals: Expect the Unexpected?," Working Papers 2014-04, Auckland University of Technology, Department of Economics.
- Domenico Lisi & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2018.
"Hospital Competition under Pay-for-Performance: Quality, Mortality and Readmissions,"
NIPE Working Papers
06/2018, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Domenico Lisi & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2018. "Hospital Competition under Pay-for-Performance: Quality, Mortality and Readmissions," Discussion Papers 18/03, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Kuhlmey, Florian & Minke, Matthias, 2018. "Estimating Survival Times Using Swiss Hospital Data," Working papers 2018/14, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Pross, Christoph & Busse, Reinhard & Geissler, Alexander, 2017. "Hospital quality variation matters – A time-trend and cross-section analysis of outcomes in German hospitals from 2006 to 2014," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 121(8), pages 842-852.
- Domenico Lisi & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2020. "Hospital competition under pay‐for‐performance: Quality, mortality, and readmissions," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 289-314, April.
- Rowena Jacobs & Martin Chalkley & MarÃa JosÃ© AragÃ³n & Jan R. BÃ¶hnke & Mike Clark & Valerie Moran & Simon Gilbody, 2016. "Funding of mental health services: Do available data support episodic payment?," Working Papers 137cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Dardanoni, V.; & Laudicella, M.; & Li Donni, P.;, 2018. "Hospital Choice in the NHS," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 18/04, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Damien Bricard & Zeynep Or, 2018. "Does an Early Primary Care Follow-up after Discharge Reduce Readmissions for Heart Failure Patients?," Working Papers DT73, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Mar 2018.
- Stephen Martin & Andrew Street & Lu Han & John Hutton, 2014. "The impact of hospital financing on the quality of inpatient care in England," Working Papers 105cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Anne-Fleur Roos & Eddy van Doorslaer & Owen O'Donnell & Erik Schut & Marco Varkevisser, 2018. "Does price competition damage healthcare quality?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 18-040/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Irene Papanicolas & Alistair McGuire, 2017. "Measuring and forecasting quality in English hospitals," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 180(2), pages 409-432, February.
More about this item
KeywordsHospital performance; Mortality rates; Readmission rates; Sample selection; Hip fractures;
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:32:y:2013:i:5:p:909-921. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.