Linking small farmers to modern retail through producer organizations – Experiences with producer companies in India
Since the early 2000s, India’s agro-food sector has undergone rapid transformations towards greater market share of modern food retail. This has impacted Indian agriculture and farmers as supermarkets re-organize supply chains towards more explicit forms of coordination. Compared to other developing countries, little has been said in the Indian context about what role farmer organizations can play to help smallholder farmers specifically, improve their position in those emerging value chains. In this paper, I address this gap and demonstrate that producer companies are a promising tool to strengthen famers’ position in their relationship with supermarket chains in India, but one which needs further improvement.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anika Trebbin & Martin Franz, 2010. "Exclusivity of private governance structures in agrofood networks: Bayer and the food retailing and processing sector in India," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 42(9), pages 2043-2057, September.
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2010. "Food Prices and Modern Retail: The Case of Delhi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1775-1787, December.
- Jia, Xiangping & Huang, Jikun, 2011.
"Contractual arrangements between farmer cooperatives and buyers in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 655-665, October.
- Jia, Xiangping & Huang, Jikun, 2011. "Contractual arrangements between farmer cooperatives and buyers in China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 656-666.
- Anusha Chari & T. C. A. Madhav Raghavan, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment in India’s Retail Bazaar: Opportunities and Challenges," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1), pages 79-90, 01.
- Michelson, Hope & Reardon, Thomas & Perez, Francisco, 2012.
"Small Farmers and Big Retail: Trade-offs of Supplying Supermarkets in Nicaragua,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 342-354.
- Michelson, Hope & Reardon, Thomas & Perez, Francisco Jose, 2010. "Small Farmers and Big Retail: trade-offs of supplying supermarkets in Nicaragua," Staff Papers 62124, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Onumah, Gideon & Davis, Junior & Kleih, Ulrich & Proctor, Felicity, 2007. "Empowering Smallholder Farmers in Markets: Changing agricultural marketing systems and innovative responses by producer organizations," MPRA Paper 25984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Devaux, André & Horton, Douglas & Velasco, Claudio & Thiele, Graham & López, Gastón & Bernet, Thomas & Reinoso, Iván & Ordinola, Miguel, 2009. "Collective action for market chain innovation in the Andes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 31-38, February.
- Thomas Reardon, 2011. "Surprised by supermarkets: diffusion of modern food retail in India," Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 134-161, October.
- Fischer, Elisabeth & Qaim, Matin, 2012. "Linking Smallholders to Markets: Determinants and Impacts of Farmer Collective Action in Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1255-1268.
- Moustier, Paule & Tam, Phan Thi Giac & Anh, Dao The & Binh, Vu Trong & Loc, Nguyen Thi Tan, 2010. "The role of farmer organizations in supplying supermarkets with quality food in Vietnam," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 69-78, February.
- Reardon, Thomas & Minten, Bart, 2011. "The quiet revolution in India's food supply chains:," IFPRI discussion papers 1115, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Kaganzi, Elly & Ferris, Shaun & Barham, James & Abenakyo, Annet & Sanginga, Pascal & Njuki, Jemimah, 2009. "Sustaining linkages to high value markets through collective action in Uganda," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 23-30, February.
- Neil M. Coe & Martin Hess, 2005. "The internationalization of retailing: implications for supply network restructuring in East Asia and Eastern Europe," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 449-473, August.
- Reardon, Thomas & Timmer, C. Peter & Berdegue, Julio A., 2004.
"The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Developing Countries: Induced Organizational, Institutional, and Technological Change in Agrifood Systems,"
eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 1(2).
- Thomas Reardon & Peter Timmer & Julio Berdegue, 2004. "The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Developing Countries: Induced Organizational, Institutional, and Technological Change in Agrifood Systems," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 1(2), pages 168-183.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2009.
"The Developing World's Bulging (but Vulnerable) "Middle Class","
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4816, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2010. "The Developing World's Bulging (but Vulnerable) Middle Class," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 445-454, April.
- Landes, Maurice R., 2008. "The Environment for Agricultural and Agribusiness Investment in India," Economic Information Bulletin 58628, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Anika Trebbin & Markus Hassler, 2012. "Farmers’ producer companies in India: a new concept for collective action?," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 44(2), pages 411-427, February.
- Hellin, Jon & Lundy, Mark & Meijer, Madelon, 2009. "Farmer organization, collective action and market access in Meso-America," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 16-22, February.
- Bill Pritchard & C. P. Gracy & Michelle Godwin, 2010. "The Impacts of Supermarket Procurement on Farming Communities in India: Evidence from Rural Karnataka," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 28(4), pages 435-456, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:45:y:2014:i:c:p:35-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.