Privatization of real options
Many privatization objects have characteristics of real options in the sense that a substantial investment is required in order to make the asset productive while at the same time there is uncertainty about the future value of the asset. This paper explores several auction designs for the privatization of such assets and shows how government revenues depend on the auction designs. As a benchmark, the paper analyzes revenues from an auction with cash only. It is demonstrated that a bid that includes a bidding firm's pledged investments at the time of investment as to stimulate regional development is inferior to a cash only bid. Investments which are made compulsory by the government at the time of the actual investment or retained shareholding by the government, both announced before the auction, can augment the government's payoff. Journal of Comparative Economics 36 (3) (2008) 489-497.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991.
"Privatisation in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects,"
9105, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- Roland, Gerard & Verdier, Thierry, 1994. "Privatization in Eastern Europe : Irreversibility and critical mass effects," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 161-183, June.
- Roland, Gérard & Verdier, Thierry, 1992. "Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 612, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991. "Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," DELTA Working Papers 91-21, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994.
"Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20039, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994. "Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 203-231, October.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1993. "Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1992. "Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm," NBER Working Papers 4205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1992. "Privatization, Risk-Taking and the Communist Firm," Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM 9216, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Alberto Moel, 2002. "When Are Real Options Exercised? An Empirical Study of Mine Closings," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 35-64, March.
- Rubinstein, Ariel, 1982.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 97-109, January.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Roland, Gérard, 1993.
"The Design of Reform Packages Under Uncertainty,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
860, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio, 1997.
"Determinants of Privatization Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 965-1025, November.
- Grosfeld, Irena & Roland, Gérard, 1995.
"Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grosfeld, I. & Roland, G., 1995. "Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises," DELTA Working Papers 95-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan, 1986. "Bidding for Contracts: A Principal-Agent Analysis," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(3), pages 326-338, Autumn.
- Cunningham, Christopher R., 2006. "House price uncertainty, timing of development, and vacant land prices: Evidence for real options in Seattle," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Saul Estrin, 2002. "Competition and Corporate Governance in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 101-124, Winter.
- Jan Svejnar, 2002.
"Transition Economies: Performance and Challenges,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 3-28, Winter.
- William L. Megginson & Robert C. Nash & Jeffry M. Netter & Annette B. Poulsen, 2004. "The Choice of Private Versus Public Capital Markets: Evidence from Privatizations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2835-2870, December.
- Baldwin, Carliss Y. & Bhattacharyya, Sugato, 1991. "Choosing the method of sale *1: A clinical study of Conrail," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 69-98, November.
- Katz, Barbara G. & Owen, Joel, 2000. "Choosing between Big-Bang and Gradualist Reforms: An Option Price Approach," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 95-107, March.
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- Riley, John G, 1988.
"Ex Post Information in Auctions,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 409-29, July.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-57, April.
- Slade, Margaret E., 2001. "Valuing Managerial Flexibility: An Application of Real-Option Theory to Mining Investments," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 193-233, March.
- Francesca Cornelli & David D. Li, 1997. "Large Shareholders, Private Benefits of Control, and Optimal Schemes of Privatization," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(4), pages 585-604, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jcecon:v:36:y:2008:i:3:p:489-497. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.