Privatization of real options
Many privatization objects have characteristics of real options in the sense that a substantial investment is required in order to make the asset productive while at the same time there is uncertainty about the future value of the asset. This paper explores several auction designs for the privatization of such assets and shows how government revenues depend on the auction designs. As a benchmark, the paper analyzes revenues from an auction with cash only. It is demonstrated that a bid that includes a bidding firm's pledged investments at the time of investment as to stimulate regional development is inferior to a cash only bid. Investments which are made compulsory by the government at the time of the actual investment or retained shareholding by the government, both announced before the auction, can augment the government's payoff. Journal of Comparative Economics 36 (3) (2008) 489-497.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gérard Roland, 1995.
"The design of reform packages under uncertainty,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9607, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Baldwin, Carliss Y. & Bhattacharyya, Sugato, 1991. "Choosing the method of sale *1: A clinical study of Conrail," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 69-98, November.
- Grosfeld, Irena & Roland, Gérard, 1995.
"Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1135, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grosfeld, I. & Roland, G., 1995. "Defensive and Strategic Restructuring in Central European Enterprises," DELTA Working Papers 95-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio, 1997.
"Determinants of Privatization Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 965-1025, November.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994.
"Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 203-231, October.
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1992. "Privatization, Risk-Taking and the Communist Firm," Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM 9216, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1993. "Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Demougin, Dominique & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1994. "Privatization, risk-taking, and the communist firm," Munich Reprints in Economics 20039, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Dominique Demougin & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1992. "Privatization, Risk-Taking, and the Communist Firm," NBER Working Papers 4205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1985. "Evaluating Natural Resource Investments," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(2), pages 135-57, April.
- Saul Estrin, 2002. "Competition and Corporate Governance in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 101-124, Winter.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991.
"Privatisation in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects,"
9105, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- Roland, Gerard & Verdier, Thierry, 1994. "Privatization in Eastern Europe : Irreversibility and critical mass effects," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 161-183, June.
- Roland, Gérard & Verdier, Thierry, 1992. "Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 612, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1991. "Privatization in Eastern Europe: Irreversibility and Critical Mass Effects," DELTA Working Papers 91-21, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
661465000000000387, David K. Levine.
- Riley, John G, 1988.
"Ex Post Information in Auctions,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 409-29, July.
- Cunningham, Christopher R., 2006. "House price uncertainty, timing of development, and vacant land prices: Evidence for real options in Seattle," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Francesca Cornelli & David D. Li, 1997. "Large Shareholders, Private Benefits of Control, and Optimal Schemes of Privatization," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(4), pages 585-604, Winter.
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- Alberto Moel, 2002. "When Are Real Options Exercised? An Empirical Study of Mine Closings," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 35-64, March.
- Katz, Barbara G. & Owen, Joel, 2000. "Choosing between Big-Bang and Gradualist Reforms: An Option Price Approach," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 95-107, March.
- Jan Svejnar, 2001.
"Transition Economies: Performances and Challenges,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
415, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Slade, Margaret E., 2001. "Valuing Managerial Flexibility: An Application of Real-Option Theory to Mining Investments," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 193-233, March.
- William L. Megginson & Robert C. Nash & Jeffry M. Netter & Annette B. Poulsen, 2004. "The Choice of Private Versus Public Capital Markets: Evidence from Privatizations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2835-2870, December.
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan, 1986. "Bidding for Contracts: A Principal-Agent Analysis," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(3), pages 326-338, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jcecon:v:36:y:2008:i:3:p:489-497. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.