Team member commitments and start-up competitiveness
This study uses resources-base and social capital theories to examine the influences of trust and entrepreneur resources on team member commitments and start-up competitiveness during both the initial and growth stages, and then explores the influences of resources and competitiveness of the initial stage on the growth stage. Empirical results support the following conclusions. In both stages, competitiveness positively associates with the start-up team member commitments; Instead of the entrepreneur or firm resources, what affects team members commitments to the start-up is the team members' trust on the entrepreneurs; Entrepreneur resources and start-up competitiveness accumulate across stages, and competitiveness in the initial stage positively influences new team members commitments in the growth stage.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno, Albert V. & Tyebjee, Tyzoon T., 1985. "The entrepreneur's search for capital," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 61-74.
- Sandberg, William R. & Hofer, Charles W., 1987. "Improving new venture performance: The role of strategy, industry structure, and the entrepreneur," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 5-28.
- Shaw, Jason D. & Delery, John E. & Abdulla, Mohamed H. A., 2003. "Organizational commitment and performance among guest workers and citizens of an Arab country," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(12), pages 1021-1030, December.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Honig, Benson & Wiklund, Johan, 2005. "Antecedents, moderators, and performance consequences of membership change in new venture teams," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 705-725, September.
- Boersma, Margreet F. & Buckley, Peter J. & Ghauri, Pervez N., 2003. "Trust in international joint venture relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(12), pages 1031-1042, December.
- Houghton, Susan M. & Smith, Anne D. & Hood, Jacqueline N., 2009. "The influence of social capital on strategic choice: An examination of the effects of external and internal network relationships on strategic complexity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(12), pages 1255-1261, December.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1993. "Calculativeness, Trust, and Economic Organization," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 453-486, April.
- Paul J. H. Schoemaker, 1990. "Strategy, Complexity, and Economic Rent," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(10), pages 1178-1192, October.
- Shrader, Rodney C. & Simon, Mark, 1997. "Corporate versus independent new ventures: Resource, strategy, and performance differences," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 47-66, January.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Pankaj Ghemawat & Daniel Levinthal, 2008. "Choice Interactions and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(9), pages 1638-1651, September.
- Ostgaard, Tone A. & Birley, Sue, 1996. "New venture growth and personal networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 37-50, May.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Keith J. Blois, 1999. "Trust in Business to Business Relationships: An Evaluation of its Status," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(2), pages 197-215, 03.
- Bruderl, Josef & Preisendorfer, Peter, 1998. "Network Support and the Success of Newly Founded Businesses," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 213-225, May.
- Hoang, Ha & Antoncic, Bostjan, 2003. "Network-based research in entrepreneurship: A critical review," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 165-187, March.
- Wu, Lei-Yu, 2010. "Applicability of the resource-based and dynamic-capability views under environmental volatility," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 27-31, January.
- Li, Julie Juan & Zhou, Kevin Zheng, 2010. "How foreign firms achieve competitive advantage in the Chinese emerging economy: Managerial ties and market orientation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(8), pages 856-862, August.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- S.A. Lippman & R.P. Rumelt, 1982. "Uncertain Imitability: An Analysis of Interfirm Differences in Efficiency under Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 418-438, Autumn.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Steier, Lloyd, 2007. "New venture creation and organization: A familial sub-narrative," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(10), pages 1099-1107, October.
- Roger J. Calantone & Jeffrey B. Schmidt & X. Michael Song, 1996. "Controllable Factors of New Product Success: A Cross-National Comparison," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(4), pages 341-358.
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Gimeno-Gascon, F. Javier & Woo, Carolyn Y., 1994. "Initial human and financial capital as predictors of new venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 371-395, September.
- Jeffrey H Dyer & Wujin Chu, 2000. "The Determinants of Trust in Supplier-Automaker Relationships in the U.S., Japan and Korea," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(2), pages 259-285, June.
- Wu, Lei-Yu, 2007. "Entrepreneurial resources, dynamic capabilities and start-up performance of Taiwan's high-tech firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 549-555, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:65:y:2012:i:5:p:708-715. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.