Developing and validating a psychometric shopper-based mall equity measure
This paper introduces a new retailing concept called shopper-based mall equity (SBME). SBME is the differential effect of mall knowledge on shoppers' responses to a mall's marketing activities. The results of a study in two Canadian shopping malls consisting of 905 shoppers who were administered a questionnaire suggest that SBME is a bi-dimensional construct, composing two sub-scales, namely mall awareness and mall image. Further psychometric tests show a parsimonious SBME measure with support for convergent, discriminant and predictive validities. Multi-group latent mean structures show that the SBME measure is able to discriminate shoppers that globally attribute high-mall scores from those who globally attribute low-mall scores. The article includes theoretical and managerial implications.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Finn, Adam & Louviere, Jordan J., 1996. "Shopping center image, consideration, and choice: Anchor store contribution," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 241-251, March.
- Chebat, Jean-Charles & Sirgy, M. Joseph & St-James, Valerie, 2006. "Upscale image transfer from malls to stores: A self-image congruence explanation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(12), pages 1288-1296, November.
- Darden, William R. & Babin, Barry J., 1994. "Exploring the concept of affective quality: Expanding the concept of retail personality," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 101-109, February.
- Babin, Barry J. & Attaway, Jill S., 2000. "Atmospheric Affect as a Tool for Creating Value and Gaining Share of Customer," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 91-99, August.
- Bolton, Ruth N & Drew, James H, 1991. " A Multistage Model of Customers' Assessments of Service Quality and Value," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 375-84, March.
- Hartman, Katherine B. & Spiro, Rosann L., 2005. "Recapturing store image in customer-based store equity: a construct conceptualization," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1112-1120, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:62:y:2009:i:6:p:581-587. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.