Completion of Chinese overseas acquisitions: Institutional perspectives and evidence
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Mike W Peng & Denis Y L Wang & Yi Jiang, 2008. "An institution-based view of international business strategy: a focus on emerging economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 39(5), pages 920-936, July.
- Li, Shaomin & Xia, Jun, 2008. "The Roles and Performance of State Firms and Non-State Firms in China's Economic Transition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 39-54, January.
- Peter Holl & Dimitis Kyriaziz, 1996. "The Determinants of Outcome in UK Take-over Bids," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 165-184.
- Anderson James E & Young Leslie, 2006. "Trade and Contract Enforcement," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-36, November.
- Aymo Brunetti & Beatrice Weder, 1998. "Investment and institutional uncertainty: A comparative study of different uncertainty measures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 134(3), pages 513-533, September.
- Brambor, Thomas & Clark, William Roberts & Golder, Matt, 2006. "Understanding Interaction Models: Improving Empirical Analyses," Political Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 63-82, December.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2008.
"Institutional Quality And Trade: Which Institutions? Which Trade?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(2), pages 227-240, April.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2006. "Institutional quality and trade: which institutions? Which trade?," DULBEA Working Papers 06-06.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Khalid Sekkat & Pierre-Guillaume Méon, 2008. "Institutional quality and trade: which institutions? Which trade?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7372, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Henry, Darren, 2004. "Corporate governance and ownership structure of target companies and the outcome of takeovers," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 419-444, September.
- P. S. Sudarsanam, 1995. "The role of defensive strategies and ownership structure of target firms: Evidence from UK hostile takeover bids," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 1(3), pages 223-240.
- Hirshleifer, David & Titman, Sheridan, 1990. "Share Tendering Strategies and the Success of Hostile Takeover Bids," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 295-324, April.
- Mudambi, Ram & Navarra, Pietro, 2002. "Institutions and internation business: a theoretical overview," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 635-646, December.
- Bittlingmayer, George & Hazlett, Thomas W., 2000. "DOS Kapital: Has antitrust action against Microsoft created value in the computer industry?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 329-359, March.
- Noel O'Sullivan & Pauline Wong, 1998. "Internal versus External Control: An Analysis of Board Composition and Ownership in UK Takeovers," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 2(1), pages 17-35, March.
- Officer, Micah S., 2003. "Termination fees in mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 431-467, September.
- Walkling, Ralph A., 1985. "Predicting Tender Offer Success: A Logistic Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 461-478, December.
- Sethi, Deepak & Judge, William, 2009. "Reappraising liabilities of foreignness within an integrated perspective of the costs and benefits of doing business abroad," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 404-416, August.
- Suma Athreye & Sandeep Kapur, 2009. "Introduction: The internationalization of Chinese and Indian firms: trends, motivations and strategy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 209-221, April.
- Child, John & Rodrigues, Suzana B., 2005. "The Internationalization of Chinese Firms: A Case for Theoretical Extension?," Management and Organization Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 381-410, November.
- Mike Wright & Robert E. Hoskisson & Mike W. Peng, 2005. "Strategy Research in Emerging Economies: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 1-33, January.
- Chaohong Zhou & Arjen van Witteloostuijn, 2010. "Institutional constraints and ecological processes: Evolution of foreign-invested enterprises in the Chinese construction industry, 1993–2006," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 41(3), pages 539-556, April.
- Delia Ionascu & Klaus E. Meyer & Saul Estrin, 2004. "Institutional Distance And International Business Strategies In Emerging Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp728, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Yuanzhi Luo, 2005. "Do Insiders Learn from Outsiders? Evidence from Mergers and Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 1951-1982, August.
- Katrin Muehlfeld & Padma Rao Sahib & Arjen van Witteloostuijn, 2007. "Completion or Abandonment of Mergers and Acquisitions: Evidence from the Newspaper Industry, 1981-2000," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 107-137.
- Noel O'Sullivan & Pauline Wong, 1998. "The impact of board composition and ownership on the nature and outcome of UK takeovers," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 92-100, April.
- Charlie Weir, 1997. "Corporate governance, performance and take-overs: an empirical analysis of UK mergers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(11), pages 1465-1475.
- Elias Raad & Robert Ryan, 1995. "Capital Structure and Ownership Distribution of Tender Offer Targets: An Empirical Study," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 24(1), Spring.
- Agata Antkiewicz & John Whalley, 2007. "Recent Chinese Buyout Activity and the Implications for Wider Global Investment Rules," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 33(2), pages 207-226, June.
- Darren Henry, 2005. "Directors' Recommendations in Takeovers: An Agency and Governance Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1-2), pages 129-159.
- Duggal, Rakesh & Millar, James A., 1994. "Institutional investors, antitakeover defenses and success of hostile takeover bids," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 387-402.
- John Child & Suzana B. Rodrigues, 2005. "The Internationalization of Chinese Firms: A Case for Theoretical Extension?," Management and Organization Review, International Association of Chinese Management Research, vol. 1(3), pages 381-410, November.
- Branch, Ben & Wang, Jia & Yang, Taewon, 2008. "A note on takeover success prediction," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 1186-1193, December.
- Peter J Buckley & L Jeremy Clegg & Adam R Cross & Xin Liu & Hinrich Voss & Ping Zheng, 2007. "The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 38(4), pages 499-518, July.
- P. Holl & J. F. Pickering, 1988. "The determinants and effects of actual, abandoned and contested mergers," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 1-19, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Reddy, Kotapati Srinivasa, 2015. "Revisiting and Reinforcing the Farmers Fox Theory: A Study (Test) of Three Cases in Cross-border Inbound Acquisitions," MPRA Paper 63561, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2015.
- Wei, Tian & Clegg, Jeremy & Ma, Lei, 2015. "The conscious and unconscious facilitating role of the Chinese government in shaping the internationalization of Chinese MNCs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 331-343.
- repec:eee:iburev:v:26:y:2017:i:5:p:839-854 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reddy, K. Srinivasa, 2015. "Institutional Laws, and Mergers and Acquisitions in India: A Review/Recommendation," MPRA Paper 63410, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2015.
- repec:spr:manint:v:58:y:2018:i:1:d:10.1007_s11575-017-0332-0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Clegg, Jeremy & Lin, Hsin Mei & Voss, Hinrich & Yen, I-Fan & Shih, Yi Tien, 2016. "The OFDI patterns and firm performance of Chinese firms: The moderating effects of multinationality strategy and external factors," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 971-985.
- Alvandi , Keyvan & Chaminade , Cristina & Lv, Ping, 2013. "Commonalities and differences between production-related FDI (PFDI) and technology-related FDI (TFDI) in developed and emerging economies," Papers in Innovation Studies 2013/47, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Reddy, Kotapati Srinivasa, 2015. "Determinants of Cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions: A Comprehensive Review and Future Direction," MPRA Paper 63969, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2015.
- Tao, Fang & Liu, Xiaohui & Gao, Lan & Xia, Enjun, 2017. "Do cross-border mergers and acquisitions increase short-term market performance? The case of Chinese firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 189-202.
- Xie, En & Reddy, K.S. & Liang, Jie, 2017. "Country-specific determinants of cross-border mergers and acquisitions: A comprehensive review and future research directions," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 127-183.
- repec:spr:manint:v:55:y:2015:i:3:d:10.1007_s11575-014-0227-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alessia Amighini & Claudio Cozza & Elisa Giuliani & Roberta Rabellotti & Vittoria Scalera, 2015. "Multinational enterprises from emerging economies: what theories suggest, what evidence shows. A literature review," Economia e Politica Industriale: Journal of Industrial and Business Economics, Springer;Associazione Amici di Economia e Politica Industriale, vol. 42(3), pages 343-370, September.
- repec:bla:stratm:v:38:y:2017:i:9:p:1915-1934 is not listed on IDEAS
- Deng, Ping & Yang, Monica, 2015. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions by emerging market firms: A comparative investigation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 157-172.
- Fan, Di & Zhu, Cherrie Jiuhua & Nyland, Chris, 2012. "Factors affecting global integration of Chinese multinationals in Australia: A qualitative analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 13-26.
- Lim, Mi-Hee & Lee, Ji-Hwan, 2017. "National economic disparity and cross-border acquisition resolution," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 354-364.
- Rao-Nicholson, Rekha & Khan, Zaheer & Stokes, Peter, 2016. "Making great minds think alike: Emerging market multinational firms’ leadership effects on targets’ employee psychological safety after cross-border mergers and acquisitions," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 103-113.
- Reddy, Kotapati Srinivasa, 2014. "Institutional Dichotomy and Cross-Border Inbound Acquisitions: A Study of Three Cases," MPRA Paper 64221, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2014.
- De Beule, Filip & Duanmu, Jing-Lin, 2012. "Locational determinants of internationalization: A firm-level analysis of Chinese and Indian acquisitions," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 264-277.
- Li, Jing & Oh, Chang Hoon, 2016. "Research on emerging-market multinational enterprises: Extending Alan Rugman’s critical contributions," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 776-784.
- Zhang, Jianhong & He, Xinming, 2014. "Economic nationalism and foreign acquisition completion: The case of China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 212-227.
- Huang, Yuanyuan & Xie, En & Li, Yu & Reddy, K.S., 2017. "Does state ownership facilitate outward FDI of Chinese SOEs? Institutional development, market competition, and the logic of interdependence between governments and SOEs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 176-188.
- Reddy, Kotapati Srinivasa, 2015. "Why do Cross-border Merger/Acquisition Deals become Delayed, or Unsuccessful? – A Cross-Case Analysis in the Dynamic Industries," MPRA Paper 63940, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2015.
More about this item
KeywordsAcquisition completion Chinese overseas acquisition Institution;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:20:y:2011:i:2:p:226-238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.