Completion of Chinese overseas acquisitions: Institutional perspectives and evidence
This study investigates how institutional factors influence the likelihood that Chinese overseas acquisition deals are completed. We argue that a Chinese firm to succeed in a cross-border acquisition is an outcome of the multi-level institutional contingencies. Using a data set containing 1324 announced Chinese cross-border acquisition deals over the 1982-2009 period, the study finds that the likelihood of a Chinese firm to succeed in a overseas acquisition is lower, if (1) the target country has a worse institutional quality, (2) the target industry is sensitive to national security; and (3) the acquiring firm is a state-owned enterprise. In addition, the study finds host country's institutions moderate the effect of the two firm-level factors: the learning experience and state-owned ownership.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Noel O'Sullivan & Pauline Wong, 1998. "The impact of board composition and ownership on the nature and outcome of UK takeovers," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 92-100, 04.
- Peter J Buckley & L Jeremy Clegg & Adam R Cross & Xin Liu & Hinrich Voss & Ping Zheng, 2007. "The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 499-518, July.
- Duggal, Rakesh & Millar, James A., 1994. "Institutional investors, antitakeover defenses and success of hostile takeover bids," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 387-402.
- Khalid Sekkat & Pierre-Guillaume Méon, 2008.
"Institutional quality and trade: which institutions? Which trade?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7372, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2008. "Institutional Quality And Trade: Which Institutions? Which Trade?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(2), pages 227-240, 04.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2006. "Institutional quality and trade: which institutions? Which trade?," DULBEA Working Papers 06-06.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Anderson James E & Young Leslie, 2006. "Trade and Contract Enforcement," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-36, November.
- Bittlingmayer, George & Hazlett, Thomas W., 2000. "DOS Kapital: Has antitrust action against Microsoft created value in the computer industry?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 329-359, March.
- P. Holl & J. F. Pickering, 1988. "The determinants and effects of actual, abandoned and contested mergers," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 1-19, 03.
- Elias Raad & Robert Ryan, 1995. "Capital Structure and Ownership Distribution of Tender Offer Targets: An Empirical Study," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 24(1), Spring.
- Yuanzhi Luo, 2005. "Do Insiders Learn from Outsiders? Evidence from Mergers and Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 1951-1982, 08.
- Katrin Muehlfeld & Padma Rao Sahib & Arjen van Witteloostuijn, 2007. "Completion or Abandonment of Mergers and Acquisitions: Evidence from the Newspaper Industry, 1981-2000," Journal of Media Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(2), pages 107-137.
- Noel O'Sullivan & Pauline Wong, 1998. "Internal versus External Control: An Analysis of Board Composition and Ownership in UK Takeovers," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 17-35, March.
- John Child & Suzana B. Rodrigues, 2005. "The Internationalization of Chinese Firms: A Case for Theoretical Extension?," Management and Organization Review, International Association of Chinese Management Research, vol. 1(3), pages 381-410, November.
- Agata Antkiewicz & John Whalley, 2007. "Recent Chinese Buyout Activity and the Implications for Wider Global Investment Rules," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 33(2), pages 207-226, June.
- Henry, Darren, 2004. "Corporate governance and ownership structure of target companies and the outcome of takeovers," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 419-444, September.
- Hirshleifer, David & Titman, Sheridan, 1990. "Share Tendering Strategies and the Success of Hostile Takeover Bids," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 295-324, April.
- P. S. Sudarsanam, 1995. "The role of defensive strategies and ownership structure of target firms: Evidence from UK hostile takeover bids," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 1(3), pages 223-240.
- Delia Ionascu & Klaus E. Meyer & Saul Estrin, 2004. "Institutional Distance And International Business Strategies In Emerging Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp728, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Charlie Weir, 1997. "Corporate governance, performance and take-overs: an empirical analysis of UK mergers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(11), pages 1465-1475.
- Suma Athreye & Sandeep Kapur, 2009. "Introduction: The internationalization of Chinese and Indian firms: trends, motivations and strategy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 209-221, April.
- Branch, Ben & Wang, Jia & Yang, Taewon, 2008. "A note on takeover success prediction," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 1186-1193, December.
- Mike W Peng & Denis Y L Wang & Yi Jiang, 2008. "An institution-based view of international business strategy: a focus on emerging economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(5), pages 920-936, July.
- Li, Shaomin & Xia, Jun, 2008. "The Roles and Performance of State Firms and Non-State Firms in China's Economic Transition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 39-54, January.
- Officer, Micah S., 2003. "Termination fees in mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 431-467, September.
- Walkling, Ralph A., 1985. "Predicting Tender Offer Success: A Logistic Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 461-478, December.
- Chaohong Zhou & Arjen van Witteloostuijn, 2010. "Institutional constraints and ecological processes: Evolution of foreign-invested enterprises in the Chinese construction industry, 1993–2006," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(3), pages 539-556, April.
- Mudambi, Ram & Navarra, Pietro, 2002. "Institutions and internation business: a theoretical overview," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 635-646, December.
- Mike Wright & Robert E. Hoskisson & Mike W. Peng, 2005. "Strategy Research in Emerging Economies: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 1-33, 01.
- Peter Holl & Dimitis Kyriaziz, 1996. "The Determinants of Outcome in UK Take-over Bids," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 165-184.
- Darren Henry, 2005. "Directors' Recommendations in Takeovers: An Agency and Governance Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1-2), pages 129-159.
- Sethi, Deepak & Judge, William, 2009. "Reappraising liabilities of foreignness within an integrated perspective of the costs and benefits of doing business abroad," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 404-416, August.
- Aymo Brunetti & Beatrice Weder, 1998. "Investment and institutional uncertainty: A comparative study of different uncertainty measures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 513-533, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:20:y:2011:i:2:p:226-238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.