Examining relational and resource influences on the performance of border region SMEs
At the U.S.-Mexico border, small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) are embedded in dual natured institutional and cultural contexts that share common functional and morphological characteristics. In this context firms are challenged by moving from one organizing template to another as embedded network influences constrain and enhance strategic outcomes. We develop and test a model of the impact of embeddedness components including social capital, personal relations and economic interaction on firm outcomes. Our results indicate that these components combine to influence the development of valuable resources and firm adaptation. We find that resources and adaptation significantly relate to SME performance.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Tatoglu, Ekrem & Glaister, Keith W., 2007. "Factors influencing perceptions of performance: The case of western FDI in an emerging market," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 310-336, June.
- Andersson, Ulf & Holm, Desiree Blankenburg & Johanson, Martin, 2007. "Moving or doing? Knowledge flow, problem solving, and change in industrial networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 32-40, January.
- Kotabe, Masaaki & Teegen, Hildy & Aulakh, Preet S. & Coutinho de Arruda, Maria Cecilia & Santillán-Salgado, Roberto J. & Greene, Walter, 2000. "Strategic alliances in emerging Latin America: a view from Brazilian, Chilean, and Mexican companies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 114-132, July.
- Frank Ellis, 2000. "The Determinants of Rural Livelihood Diversification in Developing Countries," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 289-302.
- Kirti Sawhney Celly & Robert E Spekman & John W Kamauff, 1999. "Technological Uncertainty, Buyer Preferences and Supplier Assurances: An Examination of Pacific Rim Purchasing Arrangements," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(2), pages 297-316, June.
- Roth, Kendall & Kostova, Tatiana, 2003. "Organizational coping with institutional upheaval in transition economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 314-330, November.
- Olga Suhomlinova, 2006. "Toward a Model of Organizational Co-Evolution in Transition Economies," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(7), pages 1537-1558, November.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Ainuddin, R. Azimah & Beamish, Paul W. & Hulland, John S. & Rouse, Michael J., 2007. "Resource attributes and firm performance in international joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 47-60, March.
- R. J. Rummel, 1967. "Understanding factor analysis," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 11(4), pages 444-480, December.
- Inkpen, Andrew C. & Currall, Steven C., 1998. "The nature, antecedents, and consequences of joint venture trust," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-20, July.
- Mukherji, Ananda & Francis, John D., 2008. "Mutual adaptation in buyer-supplier relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 154-161, February.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Jeffrey H Dyer & Wujin Chu, 2000. "The Determinants of Trust in Supplier-Automaker Relationships in the U.S., Japan and Korea," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(2), pages 259-285, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:18:y:2009:i:4:p:331-343. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.