Organizational coping with institutional upheaval in transition economies
The radical change in corporate governance systems is fundamental to the period of institutional upheaval characterizing transition economies. Using an institutional theory framework, this paper develops a model of responses to this change. The model is tested with data from 1,723 firms in 22 countries in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States. The results suggest that a firm's adaptation to the new governance order will be facilitated or hampered depending on the characteristics of the institutional and organizational contexts it faces. A major implication of the study is the need to consider cultural and contextual embeddedness in explaining how governance systems transform.
Volume (Year): 38 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Igor Filatotchev & Natalya Dyomina & Mike Wright & Trevor Buck, 2001. "Effects of Post-Privatization Governance and Strategies on Export Intensity in the Former Soviet Union," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 853-871, December.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002. "The Central Role of Entrepreneurs in Transition Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 153-170, Summer.
- Smith, Anne & Golden, Peggy & Pitcher, Patricia, 1999. "The clock is ticking: surviving privatization and deregulation by utilizing the running time," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 409-421, August.
- McCarthy, Daniel & Puffer, Sheila, 2002. "Corporate Governance in Russia:: towards a European, US, or Russian Model?," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 630-640, December.
- Puffer, Sheila M. & McCarthy, Daniel J., 2003. "The emergence of corporate governance in Russia," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 284-298, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:38:y:2003:i:4:p:314-330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.