The contribution of British scholarship to international business studies
In honour of Michael Brooke, this article traces the contribution of British Scholars to international business research and writings since the early 1960s. It distinguishes two main streams of thought; first that what is in direct lineage to the interests of Michael, and second that which has more to do with explaining the determinants and impact of fdi and MNE activity. It concludes by suggesting that British scholarship has played a major role in advancing our thinking and understanding of all aspects of international business, but until recently at least, the second stream of thought has been more influentual.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keith W. Glaister, 1996. "Strategic Motives For International Alliance Formation," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 301-332, 05.
- Bevan, Alan & Estrin, Saul, 2000. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2638, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Buckley, Peter J. & Chapman, Malcolm, 1996. "Theory and method in international business research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 233-245, June.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment, Technological Change, and Economic Growth within Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1770-86, November.
- Stopford, John M., 1974. "The Origins of British-Based Multinational Manufacturing Enterprises," Business History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 48(03), pages 303-335, September.
- Arthur W. Lake, 1976. "Transnational Activity and Market Entry in the Semiconductor Industry," NBER Working Papers 0126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kozul-Wright, Richard & Rowthorn, Robert, 1998. "Spoilt for Choice? Multinational Corporations and the Geography of International Production," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 74-92, Summer.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:239505 is not listed on IDEAS
- Davies, Stephen W & Lyons, Bruce R, 1991. "Characterising Relative Performance: The Productivity Advantage of Foreign Owned Firms in the UK," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(4), pages 584-95, October.
- Arthur W. Lake, 1976. "Foreign Competition and the UK," NBER Working Papers 0155, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan A. Bevan & Saul Estrin, 2000. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 342, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Michael Z Brooke, 1994. "The Brooke Story: A Professional Half-Life in International Business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 25(4), pages 667-673, December.
- Peter J Buckley & Jeremy Clegg & Chengqi Wang, 2002. "The Impact of Inward FDI on the Performance of Chinese Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 33(4), pages 637-655, December.
- Robert M Grant, 1987. "Multinationality and Performance among British Manufacturing Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 18(3), pages 79-89, September.
- Richardson, G B, 1972. "The Organisation of Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 883-96, September.
- S. D. Chapman, 1985. "British-Based Investment Groups Before 1914," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 38(2), pages 230-247, 05.
- P Dicken, 1988. "The changing geography of Japanese foreign direct investment in manufacturing industry: a global perspective," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 20(5), pages 633-653, May.
- John Dunning, 1981. "Explaining the international direct investment position of countries: Towards a dynamic or developmental approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 117(1), pages 30-64, March.
- Galbraith, Craig S. & Kay, Neil M., 1986. "Towards a theory of multinational enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 3-19, March.
- Pearce, Robert, 1999. "The evolution of technology in multinational enterprises: the role of creative subsidiaries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 125-148, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:13:y:2004:i:2:p:257-279. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.