Characteristics of Foreign-Owned Firms in British Manufacturing
In: Seeking a Premier Economy: The Economic Effects of British Economic Reforms, 1980-2000
This paper describes the characteristics of manufacturing establishments in Britain over the period 1980 to 1996. Particular attention is paid to differences between plants of different ownership nationality. The findings suggest that establishments that are always foreign-owned have significantly higher labour productivity than those that remain under domestic ownership. In addition, labour productivity improves faster over time and faster with age in foreign-owned establishments. The difference in labour productivity is matched by an equivalent difference in levels of investment per employee. Establishments that change ownership nationality do not seem to experience very large changes in labour productivity levels. The proportion of skilled workers in the workplace, and wages for both skilled and operative workers are higher in foreign-owned establishments than domestic-owned, in line with differences in labour productivity.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number
6747.||Handle:|| RePEc:nbr:nberch:6747||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Alasdair Smith, 1994. "Strategic Trade Policy in the European Car Market," NBER Chapters, in: Empirical Studies of Strategic Trade Policy, pages 67-84 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Layard, R & Nickell, S, 1989.
"The Thatcher Miracle?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 215-19, May.
- Bernard, Andrew B & Jones, Charles I, 1996. "Comparing Apples to Oranges: Productivity Convergence and Measurement across Industries and Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1216-38, December.
- Stephen Nickell, 1993.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1998.
"Openness, Productivity and Growth: What Do We Really Know?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 383-98, March.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1997. "Openness, Productivity and Growth: What Do We Really Know?," NBER Working Papers 5978, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethier, Wilfred J. & Markusen, James R., 1996.
"Multinational firms, technology diffusion and trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 1-28, August.
- Wilfred J. Ethier & James R. Markusen, 1991. "Multinational Firms, Technology Diffusion and Trade," NBER Working Papers 3825, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethier, W.J. & Markusen, J.R., 1993. "Multinational Firms, Technology Diffusion and Trade," ISER Discussion Paper 0303, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin Hassett & Joel Slemrod, 1993.
"Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: A Reconsideration of the Evidence,"
in: Studies in International Taxation, pages 119-148
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Kevin Hassett, 1991. "Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: A Reconsideration of the Evidence," NBER Working Papers 3895, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988.
"The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-947, October.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," NBER Working Papers 1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark E. Doms & J . Bradford Jensen, 1998. "Comparing Wages, Skills, and Productivity between Domestically and Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Establishments in the United States," NBER Chapters, in: Geography and Ownership as Bases for Economic Accounting, pages 235-258 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rachel Griffith, 1999. "Using the ARD establishment level data to look at foreign ownership and productivity in the UK," IFS Working Papers W99/06, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003.
"Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000. "Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing," CEPR Discussion Papers 2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment, Technological Change, and Economic Growth within Europe," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1770-86, November.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000.
"Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000. "Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Raymond Vernon, 1966. "International Investment and International Trade in the Product Cycle," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 80(2), pages 190-207.
- Nickell, Stephen & Wadhwani, Sushil & Wall, Martin, 1992. "Productivity growth in U.K. companies, 1975-1986," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1055-1085, June.
- Anthony Venables, 1994. "Trade Policy under Imperfect Competition: A Numerical Assessment," NBER Chapters, in: Empirical Studies of Strategic Trade Policy, pages 41-66 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Redding & James Proudman, 1998. "Productivity convergence and international openness," Bank of England working papers 77, Bank of England.
- Harry Grubert & John Mutti, 1991. "Financial Flows versus Capital Spending: Alternative Measures of U.S.-Canadian Investment and Trade in the Analysis of Taxes," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 293-320 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caves, Richard E, 1974. "Multinational Firms, Competition, and Productivity in Host-Country Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(162), pages 176-93, May.
- Gavin Cameron & James Proudman & Stephen Redding, 1999. "Openness and its association with productivity growth in UK manufacturing industry," Bank of England working papers 104, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:6747. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.