A three-factor model investigation of foreign exchange-rate exposure
We investigate the likelihood of extreme foreign exchange-rate exposure (FXE), conditioning upon key firm factors and an expanded view of hedging. Our investigation incorporates the Fama and French (1993) three-factor (FF three-factor) model terms in reconciling equity returns vis-à-vis exchange-rate exposure. Our results suggest the following conclusions. First, consistent with effective hedging, non-hedging firms tend to have greater FXE than hedging firms. Second, all key factors that explain the likelihood of high FXE are economically and statistically significant using the more complete FF three-factor model. Third, we note that firm size is important in explaining FXE. Fourth, we find more FXE coefficients that are significant using the FF three-factor model compared to the traditional market model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert W Faff & Andrew Marshall, 2005. "International evidence on the determinants of foreign exchange rate exposure of multinational corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 36(5), pages 539-558, September.
- Christos Pantzalis & Betty J Simkins & Paul A Laux, 2001. "Operational Hedges and the Foreign Exchange Exposure of U.S. Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(4), pages 793-812, December.
- Jane E. Ihrig, 2001. "Exchange-rate exposure of multinationals: focusing on exchange-rate issues," International Finance Discussion Papers 709, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Vygodina, Anna V., 2006. "Effects of size and international exposure of the US firms on the relationship between stock prices and exchange rates," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 214-223, December.
- Doidge, Craig & Griffin, John & Williamson, Rohan, 2006. "Measuring the economic importance of exchange rate exposure," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 550-576, October.
- Jongmoo Jay Choi & Anita Mehra Prasad, 1995. "Exchange Risk Sensitivity and Its Determinants: A Firm and Industry Analysis of U.S. Multinationals," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 24(3), Fall.
- Dewenter, Kathryn L. & Higgins, Robert C. & Simin, Timothy T., 2005. "Can event study methods solve the currency exposure puzzle?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 119-144, March.
- Hsin, Chin-Wen & Shiah-Hou, Shin-Rong & Chang, Feng-Yi, 2007. "Stock return exposure to exchange rate risk: A perspective from delayed reactions and hedging effects," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 384-400, December.
- Fatemi, Ali M. & Tavakkol, Amir & Dukas, Stephen P., 1996. "Foreign exchange exposure and the pricing of exchange rate risk," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 169-189.
- Chow, Edward H & Lee, Wayne Y & Solt, Michael E, 1997. "The Economic Exposure of U.S. Multinational Firms," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 191-210, Summer.
- Kolari, James W. & Moorman, Ted C. & Sorescu, Sorin M., 2008. "Foreign exchange risk and the cross-section of stock returns," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1074-1097, November.
- George Allayannis & Jane Ihrig & James P. Weston, 2001. "Exchange-Rate Hedging: Financial versus Operational Strategies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 391-395, May.
- Edward R. Lawrence & John Geppert & Arun J. Prakash, 2007. "Asset pricing models: a comparison," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(11), pages 933-940.
- Elliott, William B. & Huffman, Stephen P. & Makar, Stephen D., 2003. "Foreign-denominated debt and foreign currency derivatives: complements or substitutes in hedging foreign currency risk?," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 123-139, April.
- Chi-Hsiou Hung, 2008. "Return Predictability of Higher-Moment CAPM Market Models," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(7-8), pages 998-1022.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Li, Donghui & Moshirian, Fariborz & Wee, Timothy & Wu, Eliza, 2009. "Foreign exchange exposure: Evidence from the U.S. insurance industry," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 306-320, April.
- Muller, A. & Verschoor, Willem F.C., 2008. "The Latin American exchange exposure of U.S. multinationals," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 112-130, April.
- Kent D Miller & Jeffrey J Reuer, 1998. "Firm Strategy and Economic Exposure to Foreign Exchange Rate Movements," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(3), pages 493-513, September.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-345, July.
- Shapiro, Alan C, 1975. "Exchange Rate Changes, Inflation, and the Value of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(2), pages 485-502, May.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
- Geczy, Christopher & Minton, Bernadette A & Schrand, Catherine, 1997. " Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1323-1354, September.
- Martin, Anna D. & Mauer, Laurence J., 2004. "Scale economies in hedging foreign exchange cash flow exposures," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 17-27.
- Allayannis, George & Ofek, Eli, 2001. "Exchange rate exposure, hedging, and the use of foreign currency derivatives," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 273-296, April.
- Simpson, Marc W. & Ramchander, Sanjay, 2008. "An inquiry into the economic fundamentals of the Fama and French equity factors," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 801-815, December.
- Valkanov, Rossen, 2003. "Long-horizon regressions: theoretical results and applications," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 201-232, May.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & M.H. Franco Wong, 2003. "Estimating Exchange Rate Exposures: Issues in Model Structure," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 32(1), Spring.
- Tom Aabo, 2006. "The Importance of Corporate Foreign Debt in Managing Exchange Rate Exposures in Non-Financial Companies," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(4), pages 633-649.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-284, March.
- Teresa L. Conover, 1997. "A Comparative Analysis of the Market Model and the Multiple-Factor Market Model," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 657-666.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:glofin:v:21:y:2010:i:1:p:1-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.