Does order flow in the European Carbon Futures Market reveal information?
This paper identifies the classes of agents at play in the European Carbon Futures Market and analyzes their trading behaviour during the market's early development period. A number of hypotheses related to microstructure are tested using enhanced ACD models. Evidence is presented that the market is characterized by three different groups of traders: informed, fundamental, and uninformed. OTC trades are distinct to regular trades and are used strategically by the informed. Fundamental traders react faster in Phase II and the informed counteract by increasing their trade size and speed. The results indicate enhanced market transparency and increased market maturity.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vives, X., 1990.
"How Fast Do Rational Agents Learn?,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
135-90, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Mizrach, Bruce & Otsubo, Yoichi, 2014.
"The market microstructure of the European climate exchange,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 107-116.
- Bruce Mizrach & Yoichi Otsubo, 2010. "The Market Microstructure of the European Climate Exchange," Departmental Working Papers 201005, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Yoichi Otsubo & Bruce Mizrach, 2012. "The Market Microstructure of the European Climate Exchange," LSF Research Working Paper Series 12-7, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Zhang, Michael Yuanjie & Russell, Jeffrey R. & Tsay, Ruey S., 2001. "A nonlinear autoregressive conditional duration model with applications to financial transaction data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 179-207, August.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Roberto Pascual & Alvaro Escribano & Mikel Tapia, 2004. "On the bi-dimensionality of liquidity," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 542-566.
- Conrad, Christian & Rittler, Daniel & Rotfuß, Waldemar, 2012.
"Modeling and explaining the dynamics of European Union Allowance prices at high-frequency,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 316-326.
- Conrad, Christian & Rittler, Daniel & Rotfuß, Waldemar, 2010. "Modeling and Explaining the Dynamics of European Union Allowance Prices at High-Frequency," Working Papers 0497, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Conrad, Christian & Rittler, Daniel & Rotfuß, Waldemar, 2010. "Modeling and explaining the dynamics of European Union allowance prices at high-frequency," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-038, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996.
"The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Yue-Jun & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2010.
"An overview of current research on EU ETS: Evidence from its operating mechanism and economic effect,"
Elsevier, vol. 87(6), pages 1804-1814, June.
- Yue-Jun Zhang & Yi-Ming Wei, 2009. "An overview of current research on EU ETS: Evidence from its operating mechanism and economic effect," CEEP-BIT Working Papers 3, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research (CEEP), Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Dufour, Alfonso & Engle, Robert F, 1999.
"Time and the Price Impact of a Trade,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt62c0h04j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Paolella, Marc S. & Taschini, Luca, 2008. "An econometric analysis of emission allowance prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2022-2032, October.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- De Luca, Giovanni & Zuccolotto, Paola, 2006. "Regime-switching Pareto distributions for ACD models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2179-2191, December.
- Hujer, Reinhard & Vuletic, Sandra, 2007. "Econometric analysis of financial trade processes by discrete mixture duration models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 635-667, February.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1991. " Measuring the Information Content of Stock Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 179-207, March.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985.
"Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983. "Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders," Discussion Papers 570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kerry Back & Shmuel Baruch, 2004. "Information in Securities Markets: Kyle Meets Glosten and Milgrom," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 433-465, 03.
- Diamond, Douglas W. & Verrecchia, Robert E., 1987. "Constraints on short-selling and asset price adjustment to private information," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 277-311, June.
- Benz, Eva & Trück, Stefan, 2009. "Modeling the price dynamics of CO2 emission allowances," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 4-15, January.
- Madhavan, Ananth, 2000. "Market microstructure: A survey," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 205-258, August.
- Frank Gerhard & Nikolaus Hautsch, 2000. "Determinants of Inter-Trade Durations and Hazard Rates Using Proportional Hazard ARMA Model," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-20, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:finmar:v:16:y:2013:i:3:p:604-635. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.