The impact of more efficient but larger new passenger cars on energy consumption in EU-15 countries
The core objective of this paper is to analyse the impact of changes in fuel intensity and car size on energy demand of passenger cars in EU-15 countries. Of special relevance in this context is how the rebound effect due to the change in car fuel intensity and car size (average engine power) affects the energy conservation effect. Lower fuel intensity reduces the cost of car travel, and may lead to further growth in vehicle kilometre driven and car size, while higher fuel prices may offset this effect to some extent.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haas, Reinhard & Nakicenovic, Nebojsa & Ajanovic, Amela & Faber, Thomas & Kranzl, Lukas & Müller, Andreas & Resch, Gustav, 2008. "Towards sustainability of energy systems: A primer on how to apply the concept of energy services to identify necessary trends and policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4012-4021, November.
- Goerlich, Roland & Wirl, Franz, 2012. "Interdependencies between transport fuel demand, efficiency and quality: An application to Austria," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 47-58.
- I.O. Walker & Franz Wirl, 1993. "Irreversible Price-Induced Efficiency Improvements: Theory and Empirical Application to Road Transportation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 183-205.
- Sofronis Clerides & Theodoros Zachariadis, 2006. "Are standards Effective in Improving Automobile Fuel Economy?," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 6-2006, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Ajanovic, Amela & Haas, Reinhard, 2012. "The role of efficiency improvements vs. price effects for modeling passenger car transport demand and energy demand—Lessons from European countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 36-46.