Efficient storage capacity in power systems with thermal and renewable generation
Power systems with high shares of wind and solar power have to balance their intermittent nature. Pumped-hydro storage plants can provide the required flexibility, while thermal backup plants offer an alternative. This paper proposes a capacity planning model to describe the efficient technology portfolio. Drawing on a residual load duration curve, we derive the efficient storage capacity and discuss its dependence on cost parameters, as well as the effect of periods with renewable generation in excess of load. A case study for Germany applies the model and highlights the impact of CO2 prices on storage efficiency.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malte Sunderkoetter & Christoph Weber, 2009. "Valuing fuel diversification in optimal investment policies for electricity generation portfolios," EWL Working Papers 0904, University of Duisburg-Essen, Chair for Management Science and Energy Economics, revised Nov 2009.
- Chao, Hung-po & Wilson, Robert, 1987. "Priority Service: Pricing, Investment, and Market Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 899-916, December.
- Horsley, Anthony & Wrobel, Andrew J., 2002.
"Efficiency rents of pumped-storage plants and their uses for operation and investment decisions,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 109-142, November.
- Anthony Horsley & Andrew J Wrobel, 2000. "Efficiency Rents of Pumped-Storage Plants and their Uses for Operation and Investment Decisions," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 405, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Anthony Horsley & Andrew J. Wrobel, 2000. "Efficiency rents of pumped-storage plants and their uses for operation and investment decisions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19336, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nyamdash, Batsaikhan & Denny, Eleanor & O'Malley, Mark, 2010. "The viability of balancing wind generation with large scale energy storage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7200-7208, November.
- Sioshansi, Ramteen & Denholm, Paul & Jenkin, Thomas & Weiss, Jurgen, 2009. "Estimating the value of electricity storage in PJM: Arbitrage and some welfare effects," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 269-277, March.
- Petter Bjerksund & Gunnar Stensland & Frank Vagstad, 2011. "Gas Storage Valuation: Price Modelling v. Optimization Methods," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 203-228.
- Bjerksund, Petter & Stensland, Gunnar & Vagstad, Frank, 2008. "Gas Storage Valuation: Price Modelling v. Optimization Methods," Discussion Papers 2008/20, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Gravelle, H S E, 1976. "The Peak Load Problem with Feasible Storage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 256-277, June.
- Yang, Chi-Jen & Jackson, Robert B., 2011. "Opportunities and barriers to pumped-hydro energy storage in the United States," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 839-844, January.
- Crampes, Claude & Moreaux, Michel, 2010. "Pumped storage and cost saving," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 325-333, March.
- Hung-po Chao, 1983. "Peak Load Pricing and Capacity Planning with Demand and Supply Uncertainty," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(1), pages 179-190, Spring.
- Steffen, Bjarne, 2012. "Prospects for pumped-hydro storage in Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 420-429.
- Kleindorfer, Paul R & Fernando, Chitru S, 1993. "Peak-Load Pricing and Reliability under Uncertainty," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-23, March.
- Carta, J.A. & Ramírez, P. & Velázquez, S., 2009. "A review of wind speed probability distributions used in wind energy analysis: Case studies in the Canary Islands," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 933-955, June.
- Sunderkötter, Malte & Weber, Christoph, 2012. "Valuing fuel diversification in power generation capacity planning," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1664-1674.
- Tuohy, A. & O'Malley, M., 2011. "Pumped storage in systems with very high wind penetration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 1965-1974, April.
- Sioshansi, Ramteen & Denholm, Paul & Jenkin, Thomas, 2011. "A comparative analysis of the value of pure and hybrid electricity storage," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 56-66, January.
- Ramteen Sioshansi, 2010. "Welfare Impacts of Electricity Storage and the Implications of Ownership Structure," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 173-198.
- Deane, J.P. & Ó Gallachóir, B.P. & McKeogh, E.J., 2010. "Techno-economic review of existing and new pumped hydro energy storage plant," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1293-1302, May.
- Crew, Michael A & Fernando, Chitru S & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 1995. "The Theory of Peak-Load Pricing: A Survey," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 215-248, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)