Logistic evolutionary product-unit neural networks: Innovation capacity of poor Guatemalan households
A new logistic regression algorithm based on evolutionary product-unit (PU) neural networks is used in this paper to determine the assets that influence the decision of poor households with respect to the cultivation of non-traditional crops (NTC) in the Guatemalan Highlands. In order to evaluate high-order covariate interactions, PUs were considered to be independent variables in product-unit neural networks (PUNN) analysing two different models either including the initial covariates (logistic regression by the product-unit and initial covariate model) or not (logistic regression by the product-unit model). Our results were compared with those obtained using a standard logistic regression model and allow us to interpret the most relevant household assets and their complex interactions when adopting NTC, in order to aid in the design of rural policies.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- von Braun, Joachim & Hotchkiss, David & Immink, Maarten D. C., 1989. "Nontraditional export crops in Guatemala: effects on production, consumption, and nutrition," Research reports 73, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Cook, Deborah F. & Zobel, Christopher W. & Wolfe, Mary Leigh, 2006. "Environmental statistical process control using an augmented neural network classification approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(3), pages 1631-1642, November.
- Immink, Maarten D C & Alarcon, Jorge A, 1993. "Household Income, Food Availability, and Commercial Crop Production by Smallholder Farmers in the Western Highlands of Guatemala," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 319-42, January.
- Carletto, Calogero & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1999. "Sustainability in the Diffusion of Innovations: Smallholder Nontraditional Agro-Exports in Guatemala," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 345-69, January.
- Bose, Indranil & Pal, Raktim, 2006. "Predicting the survival or failure of click-and-mortar corporations: A knowledge discovery approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 959-982, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:195:y:2009:i:2:p:543-551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.