An empirical analysis of euro cash payments
If the denominational structure of the euro is used in an optimal way, there should be no preferences for using certain coins and notes. In Kippers et al. (2003) it is documented that the Dutch public did have certain preferences concerning the Dutch guilder, in the sense that some notes and coins were used less often than expected. With the advent of the euro, it is now of interest to examine whether these preferences also exist for euro coins and notes, also as the denominational structure of the guilder was 1-2?-5, while for the euro it is now 1-2-5. In this paper we use two new and rather unique data sets for the Netherlands to empirically examine if the euro range is used in an optimal way. Using a statistical model, specifically designed for this purpose, we find that the Dutch public does not seem to have preferences for certain denominations. Hence, the task of paying with cash has become easier for Dutch consumers.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Hove, Leo & Heyndels, Bruno, 1996. "On the optimal spacing of currency denominations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 547-552, May.
- Van Hove, Leo, 2001. "Optimal Denominations for Coins and Bank Notes: In Defense of the Principle of Least Effort," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 1015-1021, November.
- Humphrey, David B & Kim, Moshe & Vale, Bent, 2001.
"Realizing the Gains from Electronic Payments: Costs, Pricing, and Payment Choice,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 216-234, May.
- David B. Humphrey & Moshe Kim & Bent Vale, 1998. "Realizing the gains from electronic payments: costs, pricing, and payment choice," Proceedings 586, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Sumner, Scott, 1993. "Privatizing the Mint," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 13-29, February.
- Sheri M. Markose & Yiing Jia Loke, 2003. "Network Effects On Cash-Card Substitution In Transactions And Low Interest Rate Regimes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 456-476, 04.
- Markose, Sheri M & Loke, Yiing Jia, 2000. "Network effects on Cash-Card Substitution in Transactions and Low Interest Rate Regimes," Economics Discussion Papers 3739, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Leo Van Hove, 2004. "Electronic Purses in Euroland: Why do Penetration and Usage Rates differ?," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2004/4 edited by Morten Balling, April.
- Leo van Hove, 2004. "Electronic Purses in Euroland: Why do Penetration and Usage Rates differ?," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Robert B. Avery & Gregory E. Elliehausen & Arthur B. Kennickell & Paul A. Spindt, 1986. "The use of cash and transaction accounts by American families," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Feb, pages 87-108.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1997. "More on optimal denominations for coins and currency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 221-225, August.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1997. "More on optimal denominations for coins and currency," Working Papers 9702, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Jeanine Kippers & Erjen Nierop & Richard Paap & Philip Hans Franses, 2003. "An Empirical Study of Cash Payments," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 57(4), pages 484-508.
- Jeanine Kippers & Erjen van Nierop & Richard Paap & Philip Hans Franses, 2002. "An Empirical Study of Cash Payments," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-075/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Telser, L. G., 1995. "Optimal denominations for coins and currency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 425-427, October.
- Cramer, J. S., 1983. "Currency by denomination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 299-303.
- Boeschoten, W C & Fase, M M G, 1989. "The Way We Pay with Money," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 319-326, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)